Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt tabs

Salt tabs

Anyone have any thoughts on salt tablets when running, I tend to sweat like mad so end up with horrible cramps after 20+ miles, to cap it all I have a real ropey stomach which rejects food while running as well, can't use gels as they make me sickly and faint, I've seen saltsticks online, anyone used these, do they work, are they worth trying??

I use nuun tablets before and during long runs, this has stopped what was at one time a regular cramp problem.

Dan

There are a couple of electrolyte tablets you could try: Hammer Nutrition make Endurolytes, these are beloved by the triathlon guys and seem to do the job. That said, a more powerful (=more sodium) option are S-Caps, I used these on several ultras last year and didn't get a hint of cramp. I think you can get them from The Endurance Store.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

In this context this somewhat lengthy piece from iRF is well worth a read:

http://www.irunfar.com/2012/08/water...marathons.html
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Thanks Morgan
    Very interesting.

Master
    Good link.

Drink to thirst at all times seems beyond doubt. Some weight loss should not to be feared in itself, it is weight gain that is to be avoided at all costs as it suggests drinking too much and the consequent risk of hyponatremia: remember, this can be fatal.
    NB: dehydration does not cause heat illness.

Weight loss to the extent that it impairs performance is of course undesirable - each runner needs to experiment and find out what suits them.

The issue of salt intake remains unclear, though once beyond the marathon distance there are lots of anecdotes of benefit - and it would seem little harm.

Noakes is a world expert, but he admits he has been wrong before about fluid intake, and he has recently changed his opinion on carbohydrate intake, though perhaps not as much as those selling books on the back of low carb/high fat diets would have you believe.

Thanks for the info, different opinions, think I'll stash a couple of salt tabs in my pockets for emergencies :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Thanks for the info, different opinions, think I'll stash a couple of salt tabs in my pockets for emergencies :-)
    I did just that on my BG - a bag with a little table salt in it, which is cheaper. I didn't use it. No salt for 24 hours & I was OK - mind you, it wasn't a hot day. Taking some with you just in case makes sense - it doesn't weigh much. You can overdose on salt though, or on water, or on just about anything, if you take in more than your body wants. I OD'd on Kendal Mint Cake until I cut my ration down from 3 squares avery 45 mins to 2 squares. Too much sugar & it upset my stomach. Get it just right & you can go on until your muscles have nothing left to give, whatever you feed them.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Do you take Nunn tablets as is or made up with water?
    "And what joy think ye, did they feel after the exceeding long and troublous ascent"

I always suffer terribly with cramp after 3-4 hours running especially in the heat, which for me doesn't have to be hot-,18-20C. I've tried nuuns but not convinced.
    Just finished Mont Blanc Marathon last Sunday which was a bloody nightmare- very hot 30c plus. At finish line was cramping badly in quads and calves and a French guy gave me some homeopathic tabs- not sure what they were.He gave me five wee ones and one big massive one, about the size of a nuun but not dissolvable.
    Within five minutes cramp had gone and I wasn't bothered by it again.
    Wish I knew what the wonder drug was