Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best start times for 24hr

Feeling good thanks, Bobster! My sleep patterns are messed up; it's a bit like having jet lag, but physically I was lucky to come out of it with no immediate problems.

Not sure I have properly assimilated it yet. If you can get good weather (out of your control) and good support (in your control) then everything comes together. I wish I hadn't spent 18 hours feeling sick and need to work out what was going on there as I've not had that before in long runs, but as it didn't affect my legs or my energy levels significantly it wasn't too bad.

I think lots and lots of climbing and ascending in my training over the last few months meant that my legs knew what to do, but I'm sure everyone would say that is an obvious thing. You looked pretty strong on the Scafell Massif on Saturday so I'm sure you are there already.

And good luck!
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

What I would love to do is wait until July 2nd and if the night of July 4th is looking good start at 7pm on July 3rd, but if looking claggie start at midnight. Logistically that is impossible so I have to commit to a time which is midnight July 3rd/4th. I do know from supporting leg 1 midnight starts, it is horrible having to wait to get started.

Not sure about BGR, for the paddy (if you will need darkness) I like just before dark, do the dark fresh and go into day knowing that's all you have left.

The Pennine lads are correct
    Ha! It's not often anyone says that!

But like someone else said, if you're still feeling good around Bowfell start to push on from there.

Geoff Briggs
    Pennine FR

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post

2. Don't set off too fast. Stick to the schedule even if you are feeling good - then perhaps by Bowfell (c/w) you can start to move a bit quicker.
    Good luck moving quicker from Bowfell!

What I would say is the popular schedules allow for the almost inevitable slowing later on in the round. If you get your pacing right early on, you will slow less than most people do. In this way you will pick up time on the schedule without having to speed up, or even maintain the pace.

It's a good thing to mentally prepare yourself for running quicker later though. In reality you will probably be moving slower, but just doing that feels harder than the steady pace early on!

All the best!

Thanks for all the input everyone! What i have worked out is its a 60 odd mile run that doesn't get any shorter no matter what time you start it really!!! leaning towards a 12 start if im honest! ran legs 1 and 2 this weekend and i can see how time could be lots on the featureless tops of leg 2, and also can see how it would be easy to race off!