Thread: Food and eating

Food and eating

Do any of you have a specific tactic for eating on the BG? For example, on every other long run I have done I have tended to shove a bit of food in my pack and just nibble away as and when. I have no idea how benefical this food is, the calorie content, carbohydrate, absorption levels etc. The type of food consists of jelly babies, flap jack, banana etc - the usual stuff.

However, reading Sarah Rowell's and Wendy Dodd's book 'Trail and Mountain Running' p. 129 they recommend eating between 30-60 g of carbohydrate an hour (the specific amount depends upon body weight). 50g of carbohydrate typically includes, they say, 2 bananas; a round of sandwich; slice of fruit life; or 2 gels. Any more than this, they say, and the body can't absorb it.

Has anyone adopted this specific approach to eating on a BG round (or intending to). Or have you just tended to eat what you think is the right food and just eat as and when?

I would stick to what works for you on your long training runs, but be prepared to go with how your body reacts on the day. Get your pacers to pack a few extra bits and pieces as well as your own food. I found that after half way, I was craving sweet stuff and didn't eat any of the savoury food I'd prepared for the last 2 legs. I ended up eating whatever sweet stuff the pacers had packed.

I would say that Jack's advice is about on the button and his experience is not at all untypical. I have a theory (not a particularly well-proven one) that what you eat on leg 1 and leg 2 has to fuel you for the bulk of the round, because unless you are very well trained your ability to ingest "proper" food will diminish about halfway round leg 3 and from that point onwards it's sweet stuff all the way.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

I found that my food desires changed as the round went on - by Honister I was turning away foods that I'd normally devour. Make sure you pack a wide variety of foodstuffs for each road crossing then just grab what you fancy rather than thinking about it too much.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Aye, not done the BG but I'd say go for what you train with...
    But get some fatty/protein stuff like peanut butter sandwiches down at the road crossings as well as the sugary stuff.