Thread: Another beginner...!

Another beginner...!

Hi I'm new to fell running and to this forum and just wanted to say hello....

I've had an interest in fell running for a while, but living in Coventry means I have yet to get involved.

However now is the time to push myself and go for it. Went on my first training run at the weekend, 8 miles around Mam Tor, Lose Hill & Win Hill in the Peak District... No major mishaps, in fact I found it easier than road-running due to the constant changes in terrain, rather than plodding along using the same muscles for mile after mile...

I have no particular worries about my fitness, as I'm a reasonably competent road and trail runner (usually top 10 finisher in 10k and half marathon races), also a pro kickboxer, along with plenty of fell walking experience...

My main issue as I found out at the weekend is converting all that into speed across the tops and on the descents.

I'm looking at my first race being Moel Siabod in July. I'm well aware this is a category AS race, however it is a mountain I have climbed many times in fair weather and foul, so would feel reasonably comfortable here, as opposed to an 'easier' race on unfamiliar ground...

If anybody has any general tips to offer, or any advice on that particular race, then I'm all ears...!

Pete

sounds like you will be perfectly OK on it.

As the good Doctor says! My guess is you'll be much better than me at it 'straight out of the box'....so to speak! Just crack on! Enjoy!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Just go and enjoy it mate, sounds like you will be perfectly fine. The more races you do, the more you will learn about descending, just let yourself go and don't think about falling while relaxing at the same time...that's what I do anyway and it's worked so far!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Thanks for the kind words and info everyone....

I think the main barrier will be 99% of my training will be away from the fells due to my location. I am trying to get 'off road' as much as possible.... I have an old coal mine 'pit' 5 mins run away from me with plenty of hills and rough ground... however what I gain in rough ground I will potentially lose in old bits of metal and mining debris sticking up all over the place...!

Hoping to get out to the Long Mynd soon for another decent run, as Church Stretton is only an hour's thrash along the motorways from here...

Pete

I am training for a Bob Graham while living in south east Manchester, while I do have hills they are nothing in comparison to Snowdonia, hence lots of hill reps, boring but it works.

some good running on the Long Mynd and plenty of good up-coming races too (have a look here).
    Descending is tricky and I've yet to get any good at it: practice!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Hey up Travs.
    Welcome to the forum.

Just go for it. most of us are just making it up as we go along.
    Have fun.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and info everyone....

I think the main barrier will be 99% of my training will be away from the fells due to my location. I am trying to get 'off road' as much as possible.... I have an old coal mine 'pit' 5 mins run away from me with plenty of hills and rough ground... however what I gain in rough ground I will potentially lose in old bits of metal and mining debris sticking up all over the place...!

Hoping to get out to the Long Mynd soon for another decent run, as Church Stretton is only an hour's thrash along the motorways from here...

Pete
    Hi and welcome to the forum - good to have another midlander here!

I shouldn't worry too much about specific training if you are finishing top 10 in 10k trail races. However, the more you can do off road over the roughest terrain you have to hand, the better.
    I try and get out to Shropshire at least once a month. A lot of the long mynd can be put to good use by taking in elements of the long mynd valleys and chucking in a few more steep climbs. I also, do the Cardington Cracker route or variations of it regularly.

The rest of the time is spent on hilly trail routes over the local worcestershire hills where I live.
    Hill reps are OK but get boring so I tend to plan routes where I can optimise the hills I do have - I can get 5-600m of ascent per hour of running quite confortably with a little ingenuity.

If you get into fell racing regularly, then that will of course help things along no end.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast