Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge

2015-08-08 18.04.10.jpg Picture of the team at the finish with Joss

Well done Brian! The previous Sunday I'd had enough after 6 hours in the cloud on very wet ground, & packed in at Dunmail. We'd been officially been trying for a 14-hour pace, but I didn't think I was up to that, and that proved to be the case. I was hoping to manage 15 hours, but was running at a 16-hour pace, with every prospect of slowing down from that. I'm sure I'd have got round in under the 18-hour limit if I'd kept going, but I really wasn't enjoying it. I'll give it another go next year.

Sorry for not posting earlier: I was in the Lakes all week, running the Long Tour of Bradwell on Saturday, knackered on Sunday, ironing all day yesterday, then writing Bradwell up for Runfurther today.
    Last edited by Splatcher; 11-08-2015 at 06:38 PM.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Thumbs up Joss Naylor Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Well done Brian! The previous Sunday I'd had enough after 6 hours in the cloud on very wet ground, & packed in at Dunmail. We'd been officially been trying for a 14-hour pace, but I didn't think I was up to that, and that proved to be the case. I was hoping to manage 15 hours, but was running at a 16-hour pace, with every prospect of slowing down from that. I'm sure I'd have got round in under the 18-hour limit if I'd kept going, but I really wasn't enjoying it. I'll give it another go next year.

Sorry for not posting earlier: I was in the Lakes all week, running the Long Tour of Bradwell on Saturday, knackered on Sunday, ironing all day yesterday, then writing Bradwell up for Runfurther today.
    Thanks for comments. There are some great people out there in the fells.I met some at the start and at one or two points on the way round. There was a good camaraderie even though we were all jiggered!! Sorry to hear of your attempt the previous Sunday Splatcher. I hope you will return, post when you are doing and I will try to support if I can.
    My crew of Matt Neale, Jamie Hutchinson and Tom Phillips were superb. I probably put Tom under too much pressure to complete, but he got me to the end and was fantastic, really positive soul and kept my spirits high.Magical moments sat on the bridge with Joss and Jamie and Tom.
    Cheers lads

Great achievement Brian, it was incredible the speed that you vanished into the distance. Having supported on the challenge in every time category from 14 to 24 hours it was a big suprise to see just how fast you were moving on the 12 hour schedule. See you at the dinner.

A 12 hour JNC is same pace as an 18 hour Bob Graham (it's almost exactly 2 thirds the distance, and slightly more than 2 thirds height gain) so it is fast, relentless, not to be underestimated, and there is certainly no room for error. Brian didn't really stop all day. When he told someone that he "Was just doing a Joss" I gave him some grief!

Quote Originally Posted by tomphillips View Post
    A 12 hour JNC is same pace as an 18 hour Bob Graham (it's almost exactly 2 thirds the distance, and slightly more than 2 thirds height gain) so it is fast, relentless, not to be underestimated, and there is certainly no room for error. Brian didn't really stop all day. When he told someone that he "Was just doing a Joss" I gave him some grief!
    I was quite looking forward to my 12 hour attempt on 19th Sept until I just read that last post tomphillips!!

A couple more completions yesterday! Well done Elise Milne who got around in just over 15 hours. Great day for it as well!

Congratulations to Spyke, who did the crossing on Sunday in 10hrs 20mins - not too shabby, I suppose.

This was clearly a very well planned effort. After Langdale on Saturday Tom Brunt was asking me for tips on the descent from Great End!

Super Moderator
    I'm enjoying Ian Charter's JNC blog
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Your advice was invaluable! By luck (and a little judgment we got the Great End descent spot on). A fine effort from Spyke.