Thread: Six summits/Blue Bell

Six summits/Blue Bell

Many thanks to all at Mercia Fellrunners for a wonderful weekend of racing. Just like the Fell relays of 2012 everything seemed to run smoothly and you got the chance to 'show off' your playground. A workmate asked me last week where I was racing at the weekend, when I said Shropshire his relay was, "Shropshire, there's no bloody hills in Shropshire". He's obviously never been to Long mynd!

Saturday

Stretton six summits, how hard can it be, it's only just over 6 miles...oh wait a minute it's got 3250ft of ups n downs. But the stats don't give a true reflection of the race, the ups are steep buggers and the downs feel worse. My arse cheeks can vouch to that, what's left of em. For 71 minutes I felt like I'd been on a roller coaster with no breathers inbetween, hill after hill after hill....apparently they don't have hills in Shropshire.....after doing countless races in this area over the last few years I knew there where hills, I just didn't realise you could squeeze so many into such a short distance.
    Credit to Jim and his helpers on what was a truly amazing route, you really allowed the Long Mynd to flex her muscles and make us work for our afternoon of 'pleasure'. How the hell Tom and co broke the hour is mind boggling....well done lads.

Sunday

I jumped out of the camper in the morning and said to my wife, " I don't think I'm racing today, my legs are shot". Alison's reply was typical of most weekends, " yeah yeah I've heard it all before, stop moaning and put the kettle on"......that's me told!
    Within the hour I'm back at the field where it all finished the day before and I'm looking at the race map. It looks like a little belter at 4.5 mile with approx 1500ft.....and if Carlsberg did fell races, BLUE BELL RACE FOR THE WILD, would probably be the best race ever!

Ok, I'm getting carried away.....it's just....I WON.....my first race win.

Joking aside it was a cracking race with a lovely atmosphere with all proceeds going to animal welfare, hence the name, Race for the wild.
    Cheers Tom, Anna and helpers.

ps, the race goes through Small Batch campsite which is a brilliant site and the pub 5 minutes from the site, Ragleth Inn is well worth a visit.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Cracking write up Darren & congratulations on your win in Sunday! I was hoping to Six Summits but have picked up an injury & topped it off with food poisoning on polling day. See you at a race (make that races) soon no doubt.

Well done Darren, it must be a great feeling to get your first win. I'm still (probably always will be) dreaming about it. Really enjoy your insight into the races. Thanks.

Couldn't of lost out to a better man...although i was expecting your legs to start hurting after you had raced 6 summits but no it didn't happen. Great stuff Daz. See you at Cader!
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

Well done Darren, great that you had such a nice weekend you stayed an extra day.

The results on the Mercia website have now been corrected and I'll get them off to Brett to go on the website sometime today.
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Many thanks to all at Mercia Fellrunners for a wonderful weekend of racing. Just like the Fell relays of 2012 everything seemed to run smoothly and you got the chance to 'show off' your playground. A workmate asked me last week where I was racing at the weekend, when I said Shropshire his relay was, "Shropshire, there's no bloody hills in Shropshire". He's obviously never been to Long mynd!

Saturday

Stretton six summits, how hard can it be, it's only just over 6 miles...oh wait a minute it's got 3250ft of ups n downs. But the stats don't give a true reflection of the race, the ups are steep buggers and the downs feel worse. My arse cheeks can vouch to that, what's left of em. For 71 minutes I felt like I'd been on a roller coaster with no breathers inbetween, hill after hill after hill....apparently they don't have hills in Shropshire.....after doing countless races in this area over the last few years I knew there where hills, I just didn't realise you could squeeze so many into such a short distance.
    Credit to Jim and his helpers on what was a truly amazing route, you really allowed the Long Mynd to flex her muscles and make us work for our afternoon of 'pleasure'. How the hell Tom and co broke the hour is mind boggling....well done lads.

Sunday

I jumped out of the camper in the morning and said to my wife, " I don't think I'm racing today, my legs are shot". Alison's reply was typical of most weekends, " yeah yeah I've heard it all before, stop moaning and put the kettle on"......that's me told!
    Within the hour I'm back at the field where it all finished the day before and I'm looking at the race map. It looks like a little belter at 4.5 mile with approx 1500ft.....and if Carlsberg did fell races, BLUE BELL RACE FOR THE WILD, would probably be the best race ever!

Ok, I'm getting carried away.....it's just....I WON.....my first race win.

Joking aside it was a cracking race with a lovely atmosphere with all proceeds going to animal welfare, hence the name, Race for the wild.
    Cheers Tom, Anna and helpers.

ps, the race goes through Small Batch campsite which is a brilliant site and the pub 5 minutes from the site, Ragleth Inn is well worth a visit.
    Well done on the victory Darren, I knew you’d do it one day. How you managed to race, and win, after that route on Saturday is very impressive.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    ...Ok, I'm getting carried away.....it's just....I WON.....my first race win...
    At Last! Well done on your first fell race win - totally deserved.
    Here at Stretton Six Summits - the warm up race for your win...

Tindersticks at Stretton Six
    by Andy Holden, on Flickr
    Last edited by wharfeego; 12-05-2015 at 01:27 PM.

Great pic Andy. Have you got a link we can put on the Club website with the results??

That's the Ashlet climb by the way isn't it. I wonder how many athletes came past with the "FFS" expression firmly fixed on their weary visages.

I've been round that route three times, once at almost race speed (I'd never ask folks to do something I wouldn't!) and that climb's a bugger. The descent was deliberately chosen to (a) keep runners off the path and thus reduce the risk of rambler wipeout and (b) reduce what's left of each runner's quads to jelly.

Jim :-)
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the comments lads.

Andy, you must of shot some amazing photos on Saturday, imagine how different the scenery will be once the new bracken grows through.

Jim, great to meet you at the weekend, thanks again for all your efforts.

See you on Saturday Chris.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.