Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leg 2

Leg 2

Evening all,

I'm assisting a mate shortly with this leg during the night. Any tips I should be aware of? I'm not navving, I'm just witnessing and carrying gear but any advice would be appreciated.

Should be fun, hopefully the weather's good.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Evening all,

I'm assisting a mate shortly with this leg during the night. Any tips I should be aware of? I'm not navving, I'm just witnessing and carrying gear but any advice would be appreciated.

Should be fun, hopefully the weather's good.
    Don't skimp on kit; either for you, or spare stuff just in case. On leg 2 (basically a high level traverse of the Helvellyn massif) the going is generally good but it can be very exposed weather-wise
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Chill out and enjoy it, especially if there's no pressure on you. Oh! And keep up!!....The only assist I've done so far I got dropped and it was a little miserable for a while, though a good test of character etc!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Your job is to keep the chat going so that the leg passes without him noticing. And offering food/drink regularly. And don't lose the pen you're using to record the time on each summit.
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Thanks all. I'm not doing the recording (although I will be carrying a spare sheet and pen). I'll take on board your tips
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

It can be surprising how long it can take to write the time down. If You are fast enough and the visibility is good then no worries, but if you are on the edge of your ability and don't know the way it can be a bit stressful.

If it is not raining then get the paper out before you get to the summit ready.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

what happens if it is raining? How are times recorded? Is it standard to take waterproof style paper?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    what happens if it is raining? How are times recorded? Is it standard to take waterproof style paper?
    A watch with splits is a better idea than struggling with a soggy scrap of paper and a pen
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Either waterproof paper or plastic bag and write on the paper through the opening but keep the opening at the bottom so that water has less chance of getting in.

Hi tech solutions: stop-watch functionality which would give you time from the start of the leg so you'd have to add that to the actual time when you started the leg.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Either waterproof paper or plastic bag and write on the paper through the opening but keep the opening at the bottom so that water has less chance of getting in.

Hi tech solutions: stop-watch functionality which would give you time from the start of the leg so you'd have to add that to the actual time when you started the leg.
    Or a GPS watch using the lap function to record time from summit to summit. Plus you can have a time running for the leg duration, and im fairly sure you can have a stopwatch running from the start of the attempt at the same time if needed.
    It may not even need to be a GPS watch for this functionality. But they are worth investing in anyway.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 18-05-2015 at 09:18 AM.