Thread: Leg exercises for ascents

Leg exercises for ascents

...doing the Mournes Skyline in October, 35km, 3,400m.

No issue with distance, terrain etc. Did a 52km run with about 2,000m last year. However, it's the 3,400m that concerns me.

Any particular training to get vertical metres in the legs...I mean beyond the odd run across mountains. Should I be doing repeats on hills? How about day long hikes? Cycling? Or should I just let the running look after the legs and focus more on something like core work?

Most people will correctly say run hills, as much as possible. I use a treadmill a fair bit due to having access with work. Also cycling as you say is good for leg strength. Problem with using cross trainer is tiring your legs excessively before any runs.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Anyone who knows me they will tell you how well I climb and I don't do hills but do a hell of a lot of mountain biking staying of road as much as possible single tracking

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    'A long hill is one that takes from 90 secs to 3 mins plus'

Really?

Then look at skiddaw

Re the brianmac site: "They are particularly good for the cross country or road runner who is running distances of 10,000m and upwards." This is what a "long hill [taking] 90 secs to 3 mins plus" session is aimed at. Not fell running. Run hills, as most people say. Cycle up hills, at least 6% gradient, at least 6 km in length (difficult in most of the UK)