Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "all round" fell shoes...

"all round" fell shoes...

As a novice fell-runner I am looking for a first pair of fell-shoes.... Having spent the afternoon trawling through endless threads debating the various pro's and con's of each type I am still none the wiser...

At my novice level I am only really looking to buy one pair to start with. Is there a pair that people would recommend as a decent all-round shoe giving a reasonable level of grip across a variety of conditions, such as rock, mud, grass....

I suspect I can't really go wrong with a pair of Walsh's or Inov8 Talons, would I be correct in this assumption...?

At this early stage I'm not in a position where I want to be buying multiple pairs... and seeing as most longer races in the Lakes take in a variety of terrains, there must be a reasonable compromise out there...?

Thanks, Pete

Inov8's Roclites were my first fell type shoe, after that I bought a pair of Walsh PBs for more extreme fell conditions

Master
    Roclites are a good place to start ...

X-Talons are good but I think especially when you start out you can't have too much grip therefore I would suggest Mudclaws or if the budget is tight then Moremiles, just as grippy but perhaps not as long lasting.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Mudclaw 265/300

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A mudclaw 300 will cope with anything you can throw at it. X-talons if you want something a bit more stripped down for racing (and also good for XC)
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are mudclaws adequate enough on rocky ground..? The name suggests otherwise! (bearing in mind at this stage I'm not looking for premium performance on all surfaces, just to get round reasonably)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Excuse my lack of knowledge, but are mudclaws adequate enough on rocky ground..? The name suggests otherwise! (bearing in mind at this stage I'm not looking for premium performance on all surfaces, just to get round reasonably)
    yes, they're as good as anything on rough rocky ground in my experience. nothing is great on slippy wet rock, but up on the fells mudclaw are as good as anything else. if you look at most fell races, inov8 appear to be the most popular shoe. for shorter races the x-talon is more common, and on longer races (and for durability rather than weight) mudclaw are a popular choice. Nicky Spinks wore Mudclaw 300 on her Bob Graham Round last month or whenever - all 18 hours of it on grass, mud, bog, rocks and a section of road.

p.s. should add, as others have said, the roc-lite is a more all rounder. on proper fells I'd go for mudclaw any day, but on low level mixed terrain roclite would be a good choice.

just my opinion of course.

Thanks for all the advice, I will take a look late... My aim is towards the longer 'classics' races... Starting with a shorter peak district race next month, then hopefully skiddaw, and will see how it goes from there ...