Thread: 4/5 hours from Ravenglass

4/5 hours from Ravenglass

Thursday or Friday im getting the train to Ravenglass, I have 5 hours time until my return train. I'm looking to head up into Eskdale for a long training run. Wondering if it is reasonable to expect to be able to run upto Harter Fell summit and back within that time? Or does anyone have any particular routes in that area that they like?

The GL3D, a couple of weekends ago, started and finished at Ravenglass and I really enjoyed both the outward and inward legs...we got the only decent weather of the 3 days on those stretches. On the outward leg we went over Muncaster Fell and then over Whin Rigg and Illgill Head (Screes) to Wasdale Head. Greatly enjoyed.

On the home leg we came over Coniston Fells to Duddon Valley and took the pass west of Harter Fell through Dunnerdale Forest to Eskdale. Then followed a really pretty valley bridleway which was very runnable even with tired legs. You'd make very good time on this section with fresh legs.

Harter Fell, 5 Hours? Doable...but you'd have to turn on the burners! From checkpoint 206 which was at the major forest junction in Dunnerdale Forest 1km SSW of Harter Fell summit it took us 2 hours 15 to return to Ravenglass very steady run the whole way. This included checkpoint on top of Muncaster Fell which you could bypass to save time.

The fastest person on this stage managed the same leg described above in 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Hope this helps. Highly recommended which ever route you decide upon...interesting corner of Lakes. Enjoy!

Have you looked at using the Ravenglass and Eskdale railway to get closer to the hills?

Thanks, them timings do suggest I'd be pushing it, I was hoping to run back down the ridge between eskdale and dunnerdale but doesn't appear to be a path on map, and I don't want to get 'lost' in pathless terrain when I'm racing the train! Might head over to the screes and back to eskdale via burnmoor then blea tarn, sounds like a plan

Hmm ratty is an option...

Muncaster Fell and come back over Devoke Water?
    If you were ambitious and good you could head for Silecroft via Black Combe and the adjoining fells. Could be a bit of an adventure though.........

I've run round devoke water, but over it?