Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post BG recovery

Post BG recovery

I know everyones recovery rate is different but I'm interested to know how people felt after their BG. How long was it before you were back jogging, getting back on the hills, back to normal strength etc. One week on and my joints ache with sore knees. Calves and quads feel fine. Is it a case of playing a waiting game or do you tend to 'reverse taper'?

I've not done Bob but I guess it's similar to doing long Ultra's etc. After Hardmoors 110 I'm definitely still tired. Strengths ok but I feel weary doing anything hilly. I have been a bit ill since I did it too mind. I did read some a day per mile recovery is a good guide but that seems excessive!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

I've not done Bob but I guess it's similar to doing long Ultra's etc. After Hardmoors 110 I'm definitely still tired. Strengths ok but I feel weary doing anything hilly. I have been a bit ill since I did it too mind. I did read some where that a day per mile ran recovery is a good guide but that seems excessive!!?
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Super Moderator
    Listen to your body is my advice. Sadly mine is still saying take it easy four years after getting round
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I think people underestimate how long it actually takes for your body to recover. I've just come back from a 13-mile loop around Barden Fell and Simon's Seat with Helen, two weeks ago today she was coming towards the end of leg 1 on her BGR. She wasn't a happy bunny at all tonight, legs still in bits.

For myself, I tried to do the Yorkshireman Half a couple of weeks after my BGR. Colossal mistake, I crawled round.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I did read some a day per mile recovery is a good guide but that seems excessive!!?
    I've heard that in reference to road (i.e. flatter, faster) running, and it's probably about right for shorter distances on the fells too, but I doubt it applies to longer slower stuff.

I'd agree with listen to your body, as I'm sure different people cope differently, but I wouldn't plan on doing anything long for a good few weeks, perhaps a month... unless you're just doing it to enjoy rather than to get the best of yourself!

I felt OK (as in not wanting to fall asleep or having to walk backwards down stairs) within 3 or 4 days. Went for my first, gentle, run after 7 days and did my first race after ten days - it was a massive 3 miler! It was about a month before I felt like doing longer stuff.

Like Andy says, listen to your body, don't push it but equally don't just slob out.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Nicky was racing with 3 days after her record BG.......
    a number of dark peak and Penistone runners do the Trunce on the Monday after their BG. my legs were ok but my feet were too sore..incidently the BG Trunce record I think stands at sub 8 minutes!!yikes

It's very personal of course. For what it's worth, I didn't really stop feeling unusually tired for a couple of weeks. I started running a week later but didn't get back on the fells for a month where I raced and was way off par. Took four months to race at anything like normal pace.

i was amazed how long it took. Didn't mind though ��

Before going into my BG in April this year, I knew that I needed to be able to come back reasonably quickly in order to run the Dragon's Back this month. It would be arrogant to say it was a training run but I wanted to be able to give myself at least an opportunity to recover.

I finished feeling Ok, despite my lack of eating on the round, went for a recovery walk in the Lakes the next day and a recovery run on the Monday. On the Thursday I raced the Dick Hudson's race and felt good.

It's obviously very early days still, especially considering Steve Birkenshaw's blog post this week, but since then I've fitted in some racing, some big weekends to keep in condition and some 50-60 miles weeks. I've also been happy to stop running for 2 or 3 days when I've started feeling heavy legged which I definitely have on a few occasions.

Whether this is very foolhardy I'll find out in 2 weeks, but as yet I certainly haven't had the crash that some people have told me they had. However, I'm perfectly happy to accept the "I told you so's" when I spend the summer lying on the sofa.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.