Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 7min mile pace to 5.5 mmp

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Also more runs in the 90mins to 2 HR range, that's where the bulk of your aerobic gains come in.
    I don't know about everybody else but I find this extremely hard to fit into my life, I can manage usually 2 90min+ runs per week, one club run which is usually around 90mins (usually to hard to be considered aerobic) and one long run at the weekend. I managed a year or so back to do several a week but I was so knackered with working as well it made my racing much worse.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I don't know about everybody else but I find this extremely hard to fit into my life, I can manage usually 2 90min+ runs per week, one club run which is usually around 90mins (usually to hard to be considered aerobic) and one long run at the weekend. I managed a year or so back to do several a week but I was so knackered with working as well it made my racing much worse.
    Why? Many people will manage 3 trips to the gym a week.. Driving 10-15 mins, get changed, an hour in the gym, changed drive back.. Normally at least 3 hours out of the house.

A 90 minute run from your front door isn't a huge time commitment. Obviously when junior arrives in November I may find this not to be true.. My plan is still to be at 70 mile weeks at a minimum. I think that's doable.. Luckily my in laws live an hour away in the country so I can provide them with quality grandparent time a few times a week... :-)

I work from 8 till around 6 each day and I have a wife and child at home. Disappearing for an hour and a half each day is impossible unless I do it at 5am which then means I need to be in bed quite early to avoid being knackered. I don't see how else I could manage to do it, if I went to the gym for 3hrs my wife would not be a happy lady. An hour is about the limit on a weekday but tha depends when I get home from work (like today I'm home now so I'm about to head out for a run).
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I work from 8 till around 6 each day and I have a wife and child at home. Disappearing for an hour and a half each day is impossible unless I do it at 5am which then means I need to be in bed quite early to avoid being knackered. I don't see how else I could manage to do it, if I went to the gym for 3hrs my wife would not be a happy lady. An hour is about the limit on a weekday but tha depends when I get home from work (like today I'm home now so I'm about to head out for a run).
    Ah ok long hours

I teach and I can't believe how many teachers moan about the hours.

Ok I have prep and marking but I'm done most days at 3 so can run in daylight all year and just do the prep late at night.

@Ian - When junior arrives you'll probably have a different view! I totally agree with Rob, finding time for 90+ minute runs is really tricky to balance. Currently it's mostly shorter 45/60 min session of hi intensity.

back to the OP. I think you'd benefit from shorter faster session. pretty much what everyone else has said! As one of the old guard at my club says "Train fast. Race fast" and he was pretty handy in his pomp!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    @Ian - When junior arrives you'll probably have a different view! I totally agree with Rob, finding time for 90+ minute runs is really tricky to balance. Currently it's mostly shorter 45/60 min session of hi intensity.

back to the OP. I think you'd benefit from shorter faster session. pretty much what everyone else has said! As one of the old guard at my club says "Train fast. Race fast" and he was pretty handy in his pomp!
    My plan is to shift to that. Have a good fall season take a week off and then target track racing over the winter. Much more intense shorter distance running aiming for a 10 mile pr in May.. Then maybe back to a marathon in the fall. I keep saying I'll target shorter distance PRs but as soon as I'm in marathon training races just are not prioritized, hopefully this will work as a good incentive to target shorter races and change training accordingly.

I would say you need to ensure you have a progressive running plan. It's OK to say just go out and run fast, but you get fitter by progressively making the training harder. If you ramp up the quality too quickly you are asking to get injured. You also need to run at various speeds, so a mixture of 200, 400, 800 and miles are good, as they each have a different purpose