Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley Round.

Re: Paddy Buckley Round.

Well done Ian congratulations. Great time! I had a crack on the same day I ran alongside Alan Duncan (who was ill) up to 1/2 way along the boundry ridge, where I moved ahead. Alan Duncan persevered, in lashing rain, to finish in 27 ish hours. I quit at Nantmor (leg 6 for us) after an error in the ascent out of Nantmor. I made the decision to leave it for another time, as I did not think my sub 24 hour goal was atainable.
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    Well done Ian congratulations. Great time! I had a crack on the same day I ran alongside Alan Duncan (who was ill) up to 1/2 way along the boundry ridge, where I moved ahead. Alan Duncan persevered, in lashing rain, to finish in 27 ish hours. I quit at Nantmor (leg 6 for us) after an error in the ascent out of Nantmor. I made the decision to leave it for another time, as I did not think my sub 24 hour goal was atainable.
    Tough Luck Alan & Alan....

And Iain, I take my hat off to you, as well as my shirt!!!
    Brilliant time & a really superb account, a cracking read....
    Well done to you & yours... v impressed..
    It's time a had a proper go too..!
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Sorry to hear about that Alan, I was lucky with the weather window. It was raining until Friday afternoon, then cleared up for almost all my attempt, then clouded over just as I got home. Let me know if you have an attempt next year and I'll try and help out.

Cheers

Iain

Thanks for the 'well dones' to the rest as well.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Cheers, I used the 10,000ft a week training idea and have done that for a year, on all major ascents I was 5 minutes up on Schedule and didn't really feel the hills until after Bwlch Cwmorthin and by the final ascent up Cnicht was finished.

I started at the track after Cnicht to avoid the hills on the road at the end so could really push it down off Cnicht.

Now the Bob Graham Round next year I think.
    Any ideas how I'd get in 10,000' a week in Norfolk ?
    Hoping for a far more successful 2009

Lots of stair climbing!

When can you move Stair to Norfolk ?

I think you'd stuggle to do a round from such a flat area unless you trained heavily on hilly terrain. I just couldn't imagine you'd have the general hill fitness and robustness without regular trips to the hills, no doubt some have done it from training in gyms in a flat city, but I doubt there are many. I think I was well suited to this this year, all I;d done was a reasonable milage 40 - 50 miles per week including 10,000 ft of ascent a week, with a few long ultras and oplenty of hill work, I've had not much speed this year but my stamina has been good, more so on 'walking' hills than runnable hills, say like the Llanberis path.

I know what you mean I have had very mixed results in my fell races so far two 1st in M45 category but I've also finished nearer the back than the front a couple of times. As for general fitness I'm fine usually on about 80 miles a week and have done some ultras up as far as 100k. If I was ever to attempt it I would imagine it'll be a few years from now anyway.

Have you read 'Feet in the Clouds'

He talks about being 'hill fit', he was incerdibly fit for one of his attempts, but he reckoned he failed because he wasn't 'hill fit', his tendons, ligaments and muscles just weren't use to the pounding they got on a long round. I think that's what is hard to replicate outside of a mouintainous or at least hilly area. I think you'd have to commit a good 6 months - a year in advance and do fortnightly, or at least monthly trips to the lakes and just fill the days with long mountain days. I am lucky, run out the front door and run up 2500 ft to the summit of Elidir Fawr, so it's easy for me to get the height gain in.

I reckon the key to the round is a steady pace and avoiding injury and blisters. Really it's just a steady walk up hill, gentle jog down hill, and if you can avoid any injuries you can avoid needing many rests and just keep going at a steady pace. I think I rested for about 20 minutes in total, whereas I've seen some schedules with over an hours rest. So I've already got 40 more minutes available in which to run.

No I haven't, I'd like to though.

I do know what you mean I certainly get different aches after running on the fells to any other running I do. I plan to spend a long weekend in Snowdonia in the reasonably near future to try and get some time in the mountains.