Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Frog Graham

My wife is a great open water swimmer and hates fellrunning - and vice versa. I think we might look at this as a relay. Nice route

You really reckon it's an option without a wetsuit Bill? I'm thinking that by the time you get to Derwentwater you're going to be pretty knackered and a wetsuit is as much about safety as anything. It would make it much easier, no doubt about it ...
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

If you're well acclimatised maybe. I've not really looked into the logistics of carrying a wetsuit, a short wetsuit would be probably the best compromise option.

Super Moderator
    I love the idea of going sans neoprene, but I'm sure will end up in at least a summer shorty
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Did a bit of a recce of the FGR route on Saturday, quite a nice day out. It was my first time on Barf, so I had no clue about the best line up .... for anyone in a similar situation, let me recommend AGAINST going the way I went via Slape Crag. It's a steep and nasty scree ascent with an awkward little scramble at the top, it got us all working way too hard early on in the run. The rest of it was pretty straightforward, we missed off Low Crag and Mellbreak, going straight up to Red Pike from Buttermere. From High Crag we carried on over Seat and then Haystacks before running back to Rosthwaite, but the descent back down to Buttermere was very obvious (and very steep - it would be fast). I can provide more details if anyone is interested.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Super Moderator
    I seem to remember Jamie telling me a route up Barf described as a scrambly walk was a tough climb

Well done on getting out on the route Martyn
    Poacher turned game-keeper

undercover moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    You really reckon it's an option without a wetsuit Bill? I'm thinking that by the time you get to Derwentwater you're going to be pretty knackered and a wetsuit is as much about safety as anything. It would make it much easier, no doubt about it ...
    The downside is that wetsuits are surprisingly heavy in a rucksack when, er, wet.

A portable mangle might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    The downside is that wetsuits are surprisingly heavy in a rucksack when, er, wet.

A portable mangle might be good.
    Yes, I am considering this. Not the portable mangle, just the fact that wetsuits are heavy when wet .... it was something to think about during the slog up to Grizedale Pike.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Yes, I am considering this. Not the portable mangle, just the fact that wetsuits are heavy when wet .... it was something to think about during the slog up to Grizedale Pike.
    Interesting dilemma. I don't really know much about open water swimming, but would it not be possible to layer up lighter body hugging base layers to try and keep the cold out a bit? Maybe 2 or 3 layers of skins, or similar? The portable mangle would still be useful however.

Problem is without a wetsuit you'd be losing the extra buoyancy that it affords which would be of great benefit when knackered.