Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First bike on a budget

Personally I wouldn't knock the second hand market if you look at reputable sellers. On a lot of club websites you can often get second hand bikes for a lot less than you would pay retail. What I would say is make sure you have an idea of what you want (infact with buying any bike this is key, and also what you want to do with it) and you know a bit about what the seller is selling, plus give it a good once over. If you could get someone who knows a fair bit about the mechanics of bikes and what's value for money it doesn't hurt. Buy complete, don't buy parts because often building up can end up costing more than buying complete.

It may even be that your LBS might have in something second hand that someone has part exchanged, which is even better because they will have given it the once over. As said before if going new look at your LBS.

Knowledge is the key to know what you are buying and get value for money. Scout around, and sometimes if you see something you like at your LBS and can see it cheaper online speak to them and they may be able to do a deal on it to get your custom. Personally I would never object to paying a little more to get something from an LBS as they will often give you help and support which you would rarely get from an online retailer.

If only one bike is an option and you have a feeling you might like to do a mixture of a bit of road and offroad trails look at Cyclocross as an option with a couple of sets of wheels depending on what you are riding (though you can get crossover tyres which give you a bit of both worlds. Often the cheaper good value buy will do great as a winter bike if you feel you want to get more involved and spend more.... TBH I went mad on bikes a fair few years back, but then being away means I have barely ridden any of them as I've lost my fitness and don't have space. So at the moment my cross/winter bike built up with cascaded parts from other road bikes and a few extras added in sees far more action as I often use it for the commute.

With regards to the disk option, I've got mini V's on my cross/winter bike and they do fine (everything else is a road campag groupset), but I do regret that I haven't got the option for disks because they would actually make it a lot easier to swap the wheels around - there are issues with clearance with the mini vs which mean when using cross tyres the mudguards have to come off as they foul the cable on the V's (with a disk system that problem is eliminated and you could probable even get away with setting the mudguards a bit higher to give clearance for the cross wheel tyres). That said I think you can get cable pull devices which would allow you to use the full size v brakes with a road shifter which might also go some way towards resolving the problem, but I still think if I was choosing now I would go for the disk option rather than the miniv's.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

...Boardman CX team bike at Halfords

Ilkley is surrounded by LBS selling £10,000 bikes but my bikes are Boardmans and are on a Halfords Planned Maintenance Plan for £60/bike for 3 years (ie £20 a year!). It used to be £10/year!!

Spending £1000 on a bike in Halfords gives you a head start as a customer of worth, some of the bike staff at Halfords are bike enthusiasts and really know their stuff and if you identify them and treat them with respect you will be amazed at what they will do for you for £0.00.

Halfords isn't cool and a Boardman isn't a Bianchi; but then neither am I riding in the Giro next year.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

With regards to bike shops, not all are equal in terms of service. Ask for recommendations from any local cyclists you know. That applies for Halfords too, some a great, some I'm told are awful.

On the Planet X front, I've had repeated irritating experiences with them. Mainly around items showing as in stock but with a vital 'bit' actually out of stock rendering it all a bit useless. In my case the frame was in stock, but the gear hanger was not. After 4-5 weeks of repeatedly being promised a it will be delivered I cancelled my order and ordered a Kinesis instead. I've had other negative experiences with them with other 'attempted' orders. Similar stories really, items not actually in stock and actually on a boat near Singapore. That said, if it's in stock, it's great value and I know a lot of happy punters who have their kit. But my experiences are shared by friends.
    pies

If only one bike is an option and you have a feeling you might like to do a mixture of a bit of road and offroad trails look at Cyclocross as an option with a couple of sets of wheels
    I'll second that!
    pies

Broke my Planet X carbon frame on its first outing when a pothole caused a coming together and both of us off and in the ditch. Although the damage was entirely my fault Planet X gave me a new frame at half price and rebuilt the bike for free. Can't ask for more than that. Whilst Shaun seems to have had problems with them I can't fault them in all my dealings with them and some of their stuff is ridiculously cheap ( and good quality )

just to bring this up again I have 1000 to spend can anyone suggest a decent bike I was looking at bianchi from wiggle it does need to be a road bike with good gear on it preferably carbon as hopefully use it for the fred witton and other like sportif type events 100 mile plus

Look at Planet-X. Plenty of good (carbon) bikes at £1000 or just under. If you were prepared to spend a couple of hundred more, you could consider the RT-80D (the RT-80 with disc brakes - they are the future).

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    just to bring this up again I have 1000 to spend can anyone suggest a decent bike I was looking at bianchi from wiggle it does need to be a road bike with good gear on it preferably carbon as hopefully use it for the fred witton and other like sportif type events 100 mile plus
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    Planet-X is a great choice for around 1000UKP. I like Bianchis but would struggle to pay the extra. For things like the Fred get a compact chainset (34/50) at the front and something like a 28 at the back. Or whatever it comes with and stick a lower cassette on nearer the time - doesn't have to be too pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by idler View Post
    Planet-X is a great choice for around 1000UKP. I like Bianchis but would struggle to pay the extra. For things like the Fred get a compact chainset (34/50) at the front and something like a 28 at the back. Or whatever it comes with and stick a lower cassette on nearer the time - doesn't have to be too pricey.
    I've just ordered a B'Twin one from Decathlon for £750. It's not carbon, but weighs 8.9kg. And it comes with 50/34 and 11-28, so is made for hills.

Anyone interested, ive got a Scott cr1 pro 56cm frame would suit 5ft 10 and taller. Bike comes with full Shimano 10 speed Dura ace group set and Shimano Ksyrium ES limited edition wheels, Ritchey parts, SLR seat, sorry no tyres. Bike is very light, only dry miles and never raced, very good condition. Let me know if interested, only selling as running has taken over the bike. Looking around the 1,500 mark cost 3,600 new.