Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ilkley Moor MTB'ing

Ilkley Moor MTB'ing

Last Tuesday evening, about 7.15 pm, I was flattened (run over essentially) by a down-hilling MTB'er on Ilkley Moor. He hit me in the middle of a path junction side-on with the major impact around my right shoulder.

The impact of the collision was sufficient to land me a full 10 yards away from my starting point.

I knew pretty quickly after exploring the shoulder area that I was quite badly hurt so after a brief exchange of views with the rider, I was able to walk off the Moor and drive home (just a few minutes from the base of the Moor) and then off to A&E, this time with my wife at the wheel.

The collision with the bike and rider both fractured and broke my clavicle. The break is messy in that the force of the collision has detached a chunk of bone from the front of the clavicle. Astonishingly, other than a minor graze on my right temple, I was otherwise unhurt. I'm hoping to recover from this without surgery but it's too early to tell.

I have been in touch with those at Bradford Metropolitan District Council responsible for the Moor and the Protocol that gives MTB'ers access to most of the Council's land, to discuss how this accident might be used to communicate some essential messages to MTB riders who use the Moor.

Some reflection on events leaves me of the view that it was pure luck that this rider hit someone who is 6' tall. A smaller human would have taken this impact on an unprotected head, the consequences of which I don't want to think about. Similarly if the pedestrian has been an elderly gent/lady or a young child.

The purpose of this post is to see if other Ilkley Moor pedestrians have experienced incidents or near misses with MTB'ers on the Moor. If you have, are you prepared to share them?

If anyone has tales they don't want to tell on the Forum, they can email me directly at morganatmorganwilliamsdotorg
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Hope you're OK, sounds like a certain rider wasn't riding very dangerously. I run or ride on the moor almost everyday and have never had such an encounter but I am aware of a few spots where I can easily imagine it happening, just to the west of Keighley Gate road just above the car park being one of them

I do wonder what an outcome of this is likely to be though, I can think of 3

1- Nothing
    2- Mtb trails put out of use
    3- Local user groups get organised and agree a strategy together.

I have lived in the SE and seen different areas, with high volumes of walkers, mtb riders and horse riders address these issues in all 3 of the above ways, all with limited success as they all have their inherant problems, put trails out of use and they get rebuild, often more dangerous than before. Getting groups organised costs time, money and effort and I can't see BMDC getting to that level personally!

Not sure what the answer is, but most people I encounter use the moor in a considerate way.

Hope you recover quickly mate.

It might be worth posting something on the Singletrack World forums - http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-chat - there's the usual range of views but I'd say most would be sympathetic and it would be worthwhile to get some form of discussion going.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Super Moderator
    Good shout Bob. Get well soon Morgan
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I would be the last person to lobby for bans or the withdrawal of the Protocol. There's no going back.

But use by multiple groups brings its challenges; and (unprotected) pedestrians are at risk from down-hilling bikes in particular.

Most accidents are preventable, but risks aren't always weighed up, and conclusions drawn, by those who need to weigh and draw them.

I think it stands to reason that any biker who barrels though a path junction should be subject to criticism. To do that at this time of year, when sightlines are poor or non-existent because of bracken growth, is arguably foolish, negligent (ordinary meaning) and likely reckless (certainly as to my safety.)

In an accident, you don't get to chose your "victim". The consequences of this could have been much worse for someone else.

BMDC have ways of accessing the MTB community and are keen to help do that. To my thinking, efforts of this nature made by a responsible landowner, reacting to a nasty accident, might deliver a better result than a solo effort on my part.

Time will tell.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Horrible.. The rider should have slowed down for the crossing, no excuses. If it was super important to go fast then they should have used a spotter.

They'll know the trail, would they have gone for it if there where cars crossing? Or the possibility of a drop off a cliff face?

Super Moderator
    I see you've made the front of the Ilkley News now Morgan. Wonder if dear old Breezy has ever managed that?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Now, now Andrew, don't you be winding our Graham up with that over-familiarity now
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I see you've made the front of the Ilkley News now Morgan. Wonder if dear old Breezy has ever managed that?
    Andrew,

Alas no. But that is the price I pay for being fit, agile and very observant when venturing onto paths used by the MTB- hoodlums of downtown Ilkley.

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".