Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ilkley Moor MTB'ing

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Andrew,

Alas no. But that is the price I pay for being fit, agile and very observant when venturing onto paths used by the MTB- hoodlums of downtown Ilkley.

Graham
    Stay to the North side of the dale is my advice
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Just an update on my progress.

I'm due back with the bone consultant next Friday, 25 September. This will be 8/9 weeks post-accident. I should learn whether the break has healed well or not. If not, surgery beckons which would be a damn nuisance.

I have limited mobility in the right shoulder and arm so far. A session with Helene Whitaker this morning went ok but suggests some issues (hopefully capable of resolution) with shoulder rotation.

I'm back at work now (just) but am knackered by evening time with brutal tightness in the damaged soft tissues all around the right collar bone and shoulder blade. And I've lost loads of muscle volume too, so a long, hard recovery awaits whether surgery follows or not.

No clue when I might be active again.

And having been pretty phlegmatic about the incident initially, the length, complexity and pain involved in the recovery are changing those views.

I would certainly welcome a chat with the rider concerned.

Still, as I've said before, I might have flown 10 yards and landed head first on a rock, so things could be much worse. :-)
    Last edited by MorganW; 19-09-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I see you've made the front of the Ilkley News now Morgan.
    Andrew, I would rather not have done......😖

I thought it would be helpful to provide some links here to the Protocol agreed by Bradford Council to allow bikes to use the Council-owned part of Ilkley Moor and to identify the separate obligations that bike users are under when they take advantage of the Protocol.

(One of the ironies of this situation is that I represented Ilkley Harriers on the Rombalds Moor Forum which was the group that facilitated the development and agreement of the Protocol between the landowner and the various user groups.)

The Protocol is here (towards the bottom of the BMDC web page):

http://www.bradford.gov.uk/bmdc/the_...on_ilkley_moor

The IMBA Rules of the Trial are here:

https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail

Reading Rule 4 of the Rules of the Trail brings forth from me a hollow and pained laugh.....

Some good news and some less good news.

Finally, after 8 weeks post-incident, the xrays show clean healing of the smashed up collar bone.

The less good news is that the trauma of the impact/landing and the 8 weeks of pretty much enforced immobility have given me "frozen shoulder" on the right side.

This may resolve quickly (couple of months) or take ages (up to 3 years in tricky cases.)

I'm on with rehab now and am hoping for better news soon.

All The Best, Morgan.

I hope that you'll be up to shaking hands & handing out certificates. Young Joe will be expecting Uncle Morgan to do the honours.

Best Regards,

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post
    Some good news and some less good news.

Finally, after 8 weeks post-incident, the xrays show clean healing of the smashed up collar bone.

The less good news is that the trauma of the impact/landing and the 8 weeks of pretty much enforced immobility have given me "frozen shoulder" on the right side.

This may resolve quickly (couple of months) or take ages (up to 3 years in tricky cases.)

I'm on with rehab now and am hoping for better news soon.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    All The Best, Morgan.

I hope that you'll be up to shaking hands & handing out certificates. Young Joe will be expecting Uncle Morgan to do the honours.

Best Regards,

Ian.
    Ian, thanks for the good wishes.

A perfectly brutal session of physio with Mrs Whitaker this morning. You know things are out of hand when she apologises after each exercise.

Hand shakes are ok now. But hopefully someone a little better known than me will be handing out the certificates.

It will be am emotional moment for me when the young 'un gets his certificate. 30 years ago I had no inkling that the next generation would get fell shoes on and show the previous generation how its done. It's a good feeling!

the force of the collision must have been enourmous to throw a 6 foot bloke 30 feet. i can understand your frustration/anger should nt it be directed specifically at the individual though rather than a community at large. as a rider on the moor since 1989 i ve never come across the riding style you describe and have only every exchanged pleasantries with any other user.
    perhaps identifying the rider and letting the law enforcement forces manage appropriately ( leaving the scene of an accident without giving personal details for one) after all if i was struck and knocked 30 feet and suffered broken bones on the road by a cyclist i suspect the police would be very interested in speaking to the cyclist.
    best wishes for a full and rapid recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by withaY View Post
    the force of the collision must have been enourmous to throw a 6 foot bloke 30 feet. i can understand your frustration/anger should nt it be directed specifically at the individual though rather than a community at large. as a rider on the moor since 1989 i ve never come across the riding style you describe and have only every exchanged pleasantries with any other user.
    perhaps identifying the rider and letting the law enforcement forces manage appropriately ( leaving the scene of an accident without giving personal details for one) after all if i was struck and knocked 30 feet and suffered broken bones on the road by a cyclist i suspect the police would be very interested in speaking to the cyclist.
    best wishes for a full and rapid recovery.
    I suspect it was "enormous". Now the bone had healed a variety of other problems are coming to light.

Two or three fractured ribs and major soft tissue damage in and around the shoulder area.

A few people have asked if I got a "name and number". To be honest, that was the last thing on my mind. After recovering some degree of equilibrium having walked back up to the collision site and laid down for a minute or so, it was obvious there was some bad damage. I've been kicking about the mountains since I was quite a small child and my training took over. I knew I needed to get off the Moor and get some attention. And I was dressed in shoes, socks, shorts and vest. If the biker had told me anything, I would have had to remember it.

Since the accident I have had exchanges with at least a dozen folk who all have tales of near misses on the Moor with MTB'ers. Others tell me that they feel it necessary to be more protective of their children whilst out than otherwise would be the case because of fast riding.

Pedestrians have an unrestricted right to be on the Moor. MTB'ers have a right but only via the Protocol. This isn't unrestricted. It forbids riding in certain spots and asks for full compliance with the Code. It's the bikers who carry these obligations. Those obligations were completely ignored in my case and there are clearly other circumstances in which you can raise the same issue that haven't ended so badly. That is why it seemed right to raise the issue with the landowner and why their press release and the follow up article in the Ilkley Gazette came to pass.

I would welcome the chance to have a discussion with the reckless rider, the more so as things have developed. I was pretty sanguine about the incident to begin with, less so now with the ever extending recovery period and the brutal pain involved in that process. But knowing that he understands the havoc that he reeked and all the consequences that flowed from his foolish riding together with a "lessons learned" chat would be a positive to come out of this. But that looks unlikely now.

I am not clear what the law is with regard to accidents "off road". In truth it never occurred to me to turn that way. Though it's pretty clear that in light of Rule 4 of the Code, any civil action for damages for personal injury would be a shoe-in. I'd rather spend my time focussing on recovery rather than chasing someone down that road.

Thanks for your best wishes. I suspect I need them!

Quote Originally Posted by MorganW View Post

A few people have asked if I got a "name and number". To be honest, that was the last thing on my mind. After recovering some degree of equilibrium having walked back up to the collision site and laid down for a minute or so, it was obvious there was some bad damage. I've been kicking about the mountains since I was quite a small child and my training took over. I knew I needed to get off the Moor and get some attention. And I was dressed in shoes, socks, shorts and vest. If the biker had told me anything, I would have had to remember it.
    I am not surprised.

In my experience of coming off my bike (once when a van came towards me on the "wrong" side of the road) I think the last mental response during the shock of the injury and the excess adrenaline is thinking about data capture. It is much more about getting away from any assembling audience and getting home to nurse your "wounds".

The other thing I have learned is that the adrenaline rush means at the time you are never aware of how much damage has been done ie it is always worse than you think, particularly to soft tissues which, as Morgan has noted, surprisingly take very much longer to heal than bones.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-10-2015 at 04:27 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".