Thread: 2 hillforts fell race

2 hillforts fell race

16/8 - 1pm start from the Kinmel Arms, Llandyrnog.

9.3m/2000ft - the route takes in the 2 HILLFORTS of Penycloddiau and Moel Arthur in the Clwydian Hills. Interesting route with some challenging climbs and really fast descents. Proceeds to Epilepsy Research UK

£7 on day, registration open from 11am at the pub.

2 Hillforts returns tomorrow for the 2016 edition. 1pm start from the Kinmel Arms, Llandyrnog. £7 entry supporting Epilepsy research UK

" Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman "

So it would seem given the attention I received from a horde of large black flies once Offa's dyke path was reached. I was starting to think, "is it just me these horrors are interested in". On closer inspection seeing the waving of arms from fellow runners suggested I wasn't alone....the flies don't bite, they're just curious. And who can blame them?....this is such a quiet area, they're just happy for the company.

Not only is it quiet, it's lovely and rightfully deserves the honour of being rewarded as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The views from the Clwydian Range looking over to the Vale of Clwyd need to be appreciated better than the fleeting glimpses I give them during the race.

At roughly 9 miles with 1900ft of climb it's a race of two halves. By the time we reach the second Hillfort that is Moel Arthur, all the climbing is done. Then it's a frantic 4 miles of descending over a variety of terrain all the way back to the village. From a distance Moel Arthur resembles a baldy monks head...honest it does.

Given the the dry conditions of late I feel road shoes would've been beneficial as the steep road sections trashed my feet in 300 mudclaws. The only technical section of the race being the descent off Moel Arthur was a little tricky underfoot though....so maybe trail shoes next time.

During the race a helicopter was doing the rounds, which is always a concern. Later I found out it was being used to control the spread of bracken from encroaching onto grazing land as it's poisonous to the cattle.

Thanks to to all concerned....enjoyed it so much we camped over and walked part of the route the following day to take in the views at a leisurely pace....beltin.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Nice to see you again over in Wales on Sunday and I hope your feet have recovered Darren! My feet often suffer on hard trailly stuff, particularly when it's warm, but I wore a brand new pair of Terraclaw 250's at the Hillforts and my feet were sound as a pound at the finish.