Thread: Cilcain Show

Cilcain Show

Anyone doing it Tomorrow (Monday) ?

Main & Junior Race results now posted in the results tab:
    https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/?page_id=903

Reputedly the oldest fell race in Wales, and yesterday was the 60th anniversary. Alas, no village show this year, only a fell race.

Despite the forecast for the coldest bank holiday for eons, it was pretty warm, in fact at the start and on the early part of the course flies were a bit of an issue.

Simple race, up to the summit of Moel Famau, round the trig point, and back the way you came. We were set off in groups of 5, at 5 minute intervals.... the groups were split so that each group had a range of age categories, to split us up quickly... again being Msen i'd left my group behind before we hit the fell gate.

30:16 which i'd have certainly taken before the start. When i hit the farm tracks on the way down, i thought sub 30 might be on the cards, but it was not to be.

Was a slight disappointment to run what in my eyes was a fair time (was within 20secs of last years winner, and less than two minutes behind the likes of Jez Brown), but only come 18th... having said that, was only a minute off 10th/11th place. But it's easy to sit here now and say that i could have found a minute from somewhere, when at the time i was pushing to the limit.

Encouraging that the winner was an U18, and there were two U16's in the top 10.

Will be interesting to see the summit splits when they come out...

Results
    https://www.clwydianfellrace.org/wp-...ce-Results.pdf

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

Was a slight disappointment to run what in my eyes was a fair time (was within 20secs of last years winner, and less than two minutes behind the likes of Jez Brown), but only come 18th... having said that, was only a minute off 10th/11th place. But it's easy to sit here now and say that i could have found a minute from somewhere, when at the time i was pushing to the limit.
    I think the course was shorter than last year's; when the village show is on, they start and finish in the village centre.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

That's correct, it started at the farm track.

I meant I was within 20secs of him this year, he only finished 2 places in front...

They also reverted back to the traditional out and back course, rather than descending over the North spur of the mountain, which they've done for last ten years or so.

Looking at the results I'd say the course this year was perhaps 6-8 minutes shorter than last year.

Either way, a winning time of 23mins is utterly insane!
    Last edited by Travs; 01-09-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Summit splits are out now, and make really interesting reading...

On first glance it looks like the usual tale for myself... 16th fastest up, but only 24th fastest down...

But a more detailed investigation shows that more time was actually lost going up... on the way down i was only 2mins slower than 2nd/3rd quickest descent... but going up is where people in the top half-dozen have pulled out a few minutes on me.

Which shows something that i've suspected for a while... that while it looks very dramatic to have people fly past you downhill, it seems to be that it's the climbs where the main time is won and lost... after all, this is what you spend the most time doing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Summit splits are out now, and make really interesting reading...

On first glance it looks like the usual tale for myself... 16th fastest up, but only 24th fastest down...

But a more detailed investigation shows that more time was actually lost going up... on the way down i was only 2mins slower than 2nd/3rd quickest descent... but going up is where people in the top half-dozen have pulled out a few minutes on me.

Which shows something that i've suspected for a while... that while it looks very dramatic to have people fly past you downhill, it seems to be that it's the climbs where the main time is won and lost... after all, this is what you spend the most time doing!
    Ascending is mainly about fitness, descending is more about skill. And like a language, if you start it late in life, you will probably never be particularly good at it, unless you were really lucky in the genetic lottery. In our club champs there is a chap who is in the same age group as me - he can just sit on my shoulder on the ascents, knowing he can thrash me on any technical descent. He started playing on the fells decades before I did.