Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bumbag vs pack vs vest

Bumbag vs pack vs vest

I've traditionally always used a bumbag (little inov8 one or OMM Ultra 6l) however recently I've found that the larger bag causes back pain after 3hours+. So I've decided to get a new bag. Here's the issue though the selection is immense! Some of the prices are obscene and I'm struggling to choose.

I reckon it needs to be around 5litres (waterproofs/hat/glove/extra base layer), have pockets at the front for food/compass/bottle.

This looks like a good punt Nathan FireCatcher but I have no experience with the brand and the accompanying video is so grossly American....

Any other suggestions? Or just wise words....

I use the OMM 3l waist pouch and find two things in particular help:

1. Carry two 300ml Capri Sun pouches with screw top lids within. Can be refilled high up if needs be. Compress 'fluidly' (excuse the pun) around the rest of the contents within (Aldi nut and seed bars compress well and taste great by the way!).

2. Scan the section of map needed/race map and laminate. Fold into quadrants when laminated and tuck neatly away into the side pouch with your compass on top. Print map content on both sides of the A4 (full bleed) if needs be for peripheral area coverage. The compass can also be clipped in to the key snaplink to prevent loss.

I've got a firecatcher.

Fantastic bit of kit, very small mind, but enough for 'Full Kit' if you have very packable lightweight gear.

Cheers, Hursty. I popped into a local shop earlier and the guy slated the firecatcher due to theway the chest straps run through the holsters. I tried a Ultimate Direction AK vest and was very impressed by it's stability. The vests just seems so ostentatious compared to all my knackered and beaten up running gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
    I use the OMM 3l waist pouch and find two things in particular help:

1. Carry two 300ml Capri Sun pouches with screw top lids within. Can be refilled high up if needs be. Compress 'fluidly' (excuse the pun) around the rest of the contents within (Aldi nut and seed bars compress well and taste great by the way!).

2. Scan the section of map needed/race map and laminate. Fold into quadrants when laminated and tuck neatly away into the side pouch with your compass on top. Print map content on both sides of the A4 (full bleed) if needs be for peripheral area coverage. The compass can also be clipped in to the key snaplink to prevent loss.
    That's a good shout re the Capri Sun option - never thought of that, but would solve issue of carrying small amounts of liquid within bumbag. Will try that out

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I've traditionally always used a bumbag (little inov8 one or OMM Ultra 6l) however recently I've found that the larger bag causes back pain after 3hours+. So I've decided to get a new bag. Here's the issue though the selection is immense! Some of the prices are obscene and I'm struggling to choose.

I reckon it needs to be around 5litres (waterproofs/hat/glove/extra base layer), have pockets at the front for food/compass/bottle.

This looks like a good punt Nathan FireCatcher but I have no experience with the brand and the accompanying video is so grossly American....

Any other suggestions? Or just wise words....

I'm in the market for the same thing due to some longer races coming up. I too reckon 5-6 litres is sufficient but being put off by > £100 quid for Salomon packs. Also, I'm never sure whether when they quote litre capacity they are including the capacity of the drink holders and bladder. Am in the Lakes this weekend, think a trip to Pete Bland may help for some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    That's a good shout re the Capri Sun option - never thought of that, but would solve issue of carrying small amounts of liquid within bumbag. Will try that out
    I've done this a few times (it is a good solution especially on medium races), just be careful of the sharp seams on any light jackets etc. I put my jackets in bags for a bit more protection and try to separate them a bit.

The Ultimate Direction AK 2.0 comfortaby fitted mandatory kit and extras in. It's about 67quid so much cheaper than the Salomon.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Cheers, Hursty. I popped into a local shop earlier and the guy slated the firecatcher due to theway the chest straps run through the holsters. I tried a Ultimate Direction AK vest and was very impressed by it's stability. The vests just seems so ostentatious compared to all my knackered and beaten up running gear!
    Yeah there are a few raised eyebrows at races, but it does the job for me and I can race better as I'm not messing about with the annoyance of running with a bum bag.

I'm in the same position, not liking bumbags. I bought an OMM Last Drop 10l pack, which was great until one side of the chest strap came off last week. Can't see anyway to re-attach it...