Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bumbag vs pack vs vest

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    On the contrary DT, a vest is more comfortable and their popularity will increase.

The humble bumbag is antiquated and uncomfortable for many and the vest provides an option for those affected.
    I agree with this. In any race long enough to need to carry water I think the modern rucksack is a better option (Salomon 12 and 5 set being the ones I like) . The only very slight downsides I can think of are : potentially a very small restriction in breathing (probably no real effect though). slightly heavier / more material to soak water and sweat into. More skin covered making it a bit hotter in very hot weather. Although the Salomons are designed to be worn directly on skin ( hence the skin set thing) if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    I agree with this. In any race long enough to need to carry water I think the modern rucksack is a better option (Salomon 12 and 5 set being the ones I like) . The only very slight downsides I can think of are : potentially a very small restriction in breathing (probably no real effect though). slightly heavier / more material to soak water and sweat into. More skin covered making it a bit hotter in very hot weather. Although the Salomons are designed to be worn directly on skin ( hence the skin set thing) if needed.
    The other downside is access. Bumbag you can whip it round on the hoof and pick out what you need (so log as some thouht has gone into the packing) - whereas back sack, well I'm not sure what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    The other downside is access. Bumbag you can whip it round on the hoof and pick out what you need (so log as some thouht has gone into the packing) - whereas back sack, well I'm not sure what you do?
    I've just picked up the inov8 10ltr vest and tried it out for the first time today... everything I may usually need in the course of a race was easily accessible on the move from either the front pockets or side mesh pockets.... (water bottles, Kendal mint cake, OS map, compass) .... clothing would take more time to access from the main rear compartment, but after getting caught in a storm on Esk Hause a few weeks back and trying to access and put on a jacket out of a bumbag in a gale, in not sure there's too much time difference... still got to faff about a bit with your bumbag when you don your jacket...

obviously this does not apply to the smaller race vests with no side pockets... I've not yet "race tested" my new vest, but on initial impressions, it looks a fantastic purchase...

Edit...In response to #22 , #23 was posted whilst I typed.

Yes I thought of that after posting. But with the 5 set and 12 set (plus others no doubt) you can stash a jacket and clothes in the bottom mesh pouch on the back and just about get it in and out. But if you can't wear the jacket over your rucksack it would have to come off. So the faff factor is bit higher. It is possible to take off a gilet with a sack on. Putting one on probably not. Admittedly bumbags cause a bit less faffing. But I don't often put jackets on and take them off. At the Lakes sky ultra I set off in a long sleeve heli with a hagloffs gilet and a hagloffs jacket(crap weather), took the jacket off just after halfway and that's the only time the rucksack came off my back in over 9 hours. There's no way I would have wanted to do that race with a bum bag (extreme example I know). But when carrying kit requirement and any quantity of food and drink I think they are worth the faff for the extra comfort. Just a Shame they are so expensive compared to a bumbag.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 13-09-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Anyone out there been using a vest over a very lightweight waterproof for an extended period have any comments on whether they cause extra wear to the outer fabric? I would imagine they do, or at the very least hasten the demise of the water repellency - never used one though, so happy to be corrected!

Jimm Mann ran the Rab MM with a Ultimate Direction AK vest! His was definately a minimal approach...

First race using a vest at the weekend... very comfortable, I was out for 3 and a half hours in the sun, and although it was soaked with sweat at the end when I took it off, I pretty much forgot it was on during the race...

Not a fan of the supplied 'soft bottles'... so took a bit of arrangement to get everything where I wanted it, ie map, compass, mint cake and my own water bottles... but once sorted, I found it much superior to my bumbag... although I must point out I didn't need to put on or shed any clothing, so never had the issue of taking it off to retrieve clothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    First race using a vest at the weekend... very comfortable, I was out for 3 and a half hours in the sun, and although it was soaked with sweat at the end when I took it off, I pretty much forgot it was on during the race...

Not a fan of the supplied 'soft bottles'... so took a bit of arrangement to get everything where I wanted it, ie map, compass, mint cake and my own water bottles... but once sorted, I found it much superior to my bumbag... although I must point out I didn't need to put on or shed any clothing, so never had the issue of taking it off to retrieve clothing...
    I've bought the Salomon 12L SLab one. I'd been in Pete Blands and was given a glowing report on it there and then chanced upon one heavily reduced in a local shop.
    I've since picked up an injury so haven't worn it running yet, but it's such a thing of beauty that I've been tempted to sleep in it.
    I'm a fan of the soft bottles - cut down on swilling shake when they're half empty.
    Not sure whether I'd do a fell race in it though.

Just to throw in my two penneth, I've got the Salomon 12L SLab race vest and it is brilliant. I wore it for just under 32 hours when I ran the Lakeland 100 and it was the first ultra event where I wasn't dehydrated because I could drink easily all the way through (and remembered to do so because the bottles were under my nose!) and I got no chafing whatsoever. It was also really, really comfy and I could fit everything I needed into it easily and have my waterproofs easily accessible. The soft bottles are great, no sloshing!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'