Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Mill Relay

Thanks for all the good comments.109 teams entered and 95 started. anyone who withdrew this year on weather concerns email me next year and I will give you free entry.
    Strict kit check still didn't prevent 3 hypothermia cases, one gave me grave concern.Although a low-level Pennine race the weather was testing to say the least. I was grateful for the Mountain Rescue guys as a big safety net.
    Just a note on the three exposure cases, they were probably the guys you would think were most adapt to conditions today? If you stacked up their race wins you'd understand. Why? different reasons in all cases but no common denominator.
    Thanks, Richard Stott.

What a difference a year can make!

Last year the inaugural running of the Relay's attracted 25 teams. After much promotional work from Richard and word of mouth this year the 120 team limit was almost reached. Richard, have you ever thought of a job in sales?

I thought the new start/finish location was better suited for the event, it felt more homely and gave better protection from the weather than last years location.

As for the Relay, music legend Mr McCartney sums it up perfectly for me with the words-
    Oh I get by with a little help from my friends.....how true you are Sir Paul, and blimey how grateful I was to have friends this year.

It's so much easier and enjoyable going around just the once!

Many thanks to all concerned for a great day.

P.S
    The eagle- eyed may have noticed it's the middle of the night when i'm typing this post. I've not got insomnia, I'm working nights and wide awake after today's Relazzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 30-11-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Thanks for all the good comments.109 teams entered and 95 started. anyone who withdrew this year on weather concerns email me next year and I will give you free entry.
    Strict kit check still didn't prevent 3 hypothermia cases, one gave me grave concern.Although a low-level Pennine race the weather was testing to say the least. I was grateful for the Mountain Rescue guys as a big safety net.
    Just a note on the three exposure cases, they were probably the guys you would think were most adapt to conditions today? If you stacked up their race wins you'd understand. Why? different reasons in all cases but no common denominator.
    Thanks, Richard Stott.
    Thanks for a great day's racing Richard and team,

All the Mercia guys and girls had a really good day - particular thanks to the marshalls, timers, results team and the MRT. You made some excellent safety decisions on the day, particularly bringing forward the mass start.

The hypothermia cases are very similar to what we had at the Longmynd Valleys race a few years ago, in similar conditions (wind, driving rain low down and sleet/wet snow on top). The more severe casualties were mainly elite / quick runners who didn't want to lose time by stopping to armour up. In our case it was made worse by having an event centre half a mile from the finish so a lot of people got cold walking back there in wet gear after they'd finished. We were fortunate that one of the early finishers was a paramedic who realised quickly what the problem was and got people organised to dry victims out and get them gently warmed.

I'm really sorry about the numbers cock-up which was totally our fault. We'll arrive earlier next year which should give us more time to get it right! I would suggest though that writing each runners first name and initial on the numbers as they are issued would have helped a lot, although it might slow things down a bit. We'd be glad to provide a couple of extra registration volunteers next year if you need them.

Anyway, thanks again for a brilliant event, and thank to all the runners for being so friendly and supportive. It really made a difference to some of our newer and/or slower athletes to be encouraged along by other runners.

We will be back next year!

Cheers
    Jim
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    Thanks for a great day's racing Richard and team,

All the Mercia guys and girls had a really good day - particular thanks to the marshalls, timers, results team and the MRT. You made some excellent safety decisions on the day, particularly bringing forward the mass start.

The hypothermia cases are very similar to what we had at the Longmynd Valleys race a few years ago, in similar conditions (wind, driving rain low down and sleet/wet snow on top). The more severe casualties were mainly elite / quick runners who didn't want to lose time by stopping to armour up. In our case it was made worse by having an event centre half a mile from the finish so a lot of people got cold walking back there in wet gear after they'd finished. We were fortunate that one of the early finishers was a paramedic who realised quickly what the problem was and got people organised to dry victims out and get them gently warmed.

I'm really sorry about the numbers cock-up which was totally our fault. We'll arrive earlier next year which should give us more time to get it right! I would suggest though that writing each runners first name and initial on the numbers as they are issued would have helped a lot, although it might slow things down a bit. We'd be glad to provide a couple of extra registration volunteers next year if you need them.

Anyway, thanks again for a brilliant event, and thank to all the runners for being so friendly and supportive. It really made a difference to some of our newer and/or slower athletes to be encouraged along by other runners.

We will be back next year!

Cheers
    Jim
    Thanks for comments Jim, I've been in touch with the runner who was causing most concern yesterday and he was home and resting. I'll follow up on that latter today. Any teams who chose to defer entry from this year due to weather concern, if you email when entries open next year I'll give you free entry.
    Thanks again, Richard Stott.

EPIC race yesterday, I was in a really bad way at the finish. Huge thanks and apologies to all included in my latest blog update... https://benmounsey.wordpress.com/201...bad-education/

Blimey Ben

I thought I had an epic adventure. Thank you to Richard & the Rossendale crew for putting on yesterdays race.
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Well done Rich and crew! Why pay £100 to watch overpaid, prima donnas . Saw the best of people, trying their hardest - It's the hardest walk I've done, one knackered said to me as the hero said to me. Lee Quarry and Rooley Moor the real Theatre of Dreams

A personal thank you to all those competitors, who contributed in any way to help me produce the results.
    Feedback and communication really matter with such a big field and in those weather conditions.

In particular, I would like to commend Jim Tinnion (Mercia) for acknowledging their error (see above) and working very hard to give me a sheet with all the corrections, which I was able to process with no further problems. I would also like to pick out those, who responded so quickly to my emails on Monday morning, which enabled me to finalise the results.

The spirit of co-operation is one of the pleasures of this sport.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    A personal thank you to all those competitors, who contributed in any way to help me produce the results.
    Feedback and communication really matter with such a big field and in those weather conditions.

In particular, I would like to commend Jim Tinnion (Mercia) for acknowledging their error (see above) and working very hard to give me a sheet with all the corrections, which I was able to process with no further problems. I would also like to pick out those, who responded so quickly to my emails on Monday morning, which enabled me to finalise the results.

The spirit of co-operation is one of the pleasures of this sport.
    Well done Jim, greatly appreciated.

Its September now and we have a few already entered for this years relays on 27th November. Go to Sportident for full details. Cheers!