Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lee Mill Relay

CVFR are doing as we've done for the last few years... we've got 8 roughly equal teams - bit like picking footie teams at school with 8 captains having taken it in turns to pick runners.
    Then in the pub in the evening, the amount we have to put into a beer kitty is a sliding scale depending on where your team came amongst the 8. The winners put nothing in.
    And the losing team of the 8 are the bar bitches who have to go to the bar with the kitty whenever anyone else wants a drink.

Needless to say it is serious!!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

We'll have a decent sized tent, possibly with Godiva flag outside, right near the start/finish... anyone welcome to come and say hello (or just get themselves out of the rain/cold!)

A fantastic day at the relays today... I believe it was the best weather they’ve ever had... above 5deg and not chucking it down or snowing... however it was still boggy underfoot...

Keswick took the first two positions by a fair distance... would be amazing to see what they could do if they really went for it and put their four fastest in the same team...

As for Godiva, our star man went off first and was leading the way up the first climb... however he was wearing Roclites and said he struggled to stay upright across the top... however he still came back in 5th only 3mins behind Carl Bell. The fact our guy went straight to the Pete Bland van to buy some Mudclaws says it all about conditions on top!

I was next up and positively bricking it about going off right at the front end.... I managed to run 8 minutes faster than last year (mainly due to not being ill this time) but still dropped back to 12th by the time we started the main descent. Luckily there was a huge gap behind me so I held onto 12th...

Next was GazB of this parish who generously loaned his services to Godiva for the day. As expected, he spanked me, and pulled back a position to leave us 11th, but a few teams queuing up behind poised for the kill...

Our final leg was a lady V40 and she ran just about as expected, and just about held on to finish in the top 20 which was a great result for us...

In our incomplete B team we had a lad on his first ever fell race... he did very well considering, and in hindsight if I’d put him in the first team we’d have finished 16th... however before getting too excited, I should remember that had we not had GazB with us we’d have finished more like 30th (which would still have exceeded expectations).

I think the run of the day must go to Chris Holdsworth who ran all four legs, and his “team” still came 12th overall...!

Great to see Tindersticks and chat, also Bill FellUpFellDown... thank you both for the kind words it was much appreciated...

And we are all very grateful to GazB for stepping up in the last couple of weeks to provide a replacement... if we are back next year (which is quite likely) there’s a place there for you if you want it...

It’s a great relay, a simple route and a simple format (all legs start/finish from exactly the same place).... yet it’s extremely tough going.

I’d driven up this morning thinking about the Wrekin Wrecker going on today, thinking I’d maybe have liked to be there racking up some Shropshire Champs points... however today the right decision was definitely made by doing the Lee Mill Relay... the same goes for my Godiva team mates who joined me, despite it being very tough and completely different for the majority of them, they love this particular event...

Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 24-11-2019 at 10:23 PM.

On again this year, Sunday 28th November,we have 61 teams so far,enter via Sportident. 10.5k true fell run, runners run individualy in teams of four,bargain at £28 a team. Cheers!

I've got two teams coming.... looking forward to it as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Good stuff, boggy as always.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    One team from Coventry Godiva, and one from Eden Runners?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    One team from Coventry Godiva, and one from Eden Runners?
    two Godiva teams... (with a little help from GazB of this parish)

Would anybody like to run a leg in one of my teams. 10km 1100ft, marked course, sunday 28th November.

All enquiries welcome!

Cheers,
    Pete
    Last edited by Travs; 11-11-2021 at 12:10 PM.

I think Travs means Sunday 28th November!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog