Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Anyone got any stats for the classic and medium?
    I clocked 16km/1350m on the short.

Good day out!
    Nice to see Geoff B at the campsite.
    Had the voices of Agnew, Boycott and Vaughan giving me commentary all the way round, showing I’ve been listening to too much cricket recently. ‘You’ve got to settle down into a rhythm to be there all day. That was a school boy error that he needs to forget and move on from it’ after I started up the Band and then followed to wall to the climb to C1.
    Thankfully found the rhythm and nav ok from then. Went up Scafell Pike rather than the gaps and it seemed like the thing to do.
    Happy with 6.08 in my first trial, worked out at 33km and 2300m for me.
    Next year - bring it on!

Sorry things didn't work out for you, Pete. Quite a few people came back from the Classic saying how hard it was. Of course my wife is a proper tough little cookie and she thought it was quite a reasonable day out!

I was very happy with my efforts on the Medium course. I've just put it roughly into Tracklogs and it comes out at about 22km with 1600m ascent. I think Sue's piece of string on the Classic measured about 34km. Don't know about climb yet.

We were pleasantly surprised that MWIS got the weather forecast wrong - it turned out to be a pretty nice day.

Thanks to the organisers, all the volunteers etc. for another excellent day out.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Quite a few people came back from the Classic saying how hard it was. Of course my wife is a proper tough little cookie and she thought it was quite a reasonable day out!
    Very impressive result from Sue!
    A top day out as always. Great course planning with interesting route choices on the classic.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Cracking day out as per.
    At CP8 I was within a minute or so of Neil Talbot, but then shanked it good and proper and lost 35mins on CP9, dropping too low on the contour around Blisco. Admittedly I eventually lost impetus somewhat.

With the predominance of 're-entrants' it was definitely a navigation trial, with plenty of route choice joined by tricky, technical terrain in the area surrounding the control. Had there been clag I dare say some would still out there.

Hats off to Scoffer for 2nd place, he was climbing with me near the end but managed to not stuff it up!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    With the predominance of 're-entrants' it was definitely a navigation trial, with plenty of route choice joined by tricky, technical terrain in the area surrounding the control. Had there been clag I dare say some would still out there.

Hats off to Scoffer for 2nd place, he was climbing with me near the end but managed to not stuff it up!
    Absolutely - some of those controls would've been seriously tricky in the clag. I quite liked the way most of the controls were 'hidden' - such as re-entrants on the south side of a hill that you approached from the north, meaning you couldn't see the control until the last minute.

Also agree about Scoffer - he is quite amazing!

Please forgive my ignorance, would someone kindly explain a control and a re-entrant please?

This all sounds super impressive!!

A control is a checkpoint, like what you get on a normal Fell Race.

A re-entrant is the opposite of a spur on a hillside, so it’s like a little valley in the hillside. The area around checkpoints 5, 6 and 7 were absolutely full of re-entrants, in fact I’d prefer never to see that word on a map again!!

A look at the split times shows that I did indeed take a poor route to the 1st checkpoint, but was then slowly clawing my way back through the field (despite my legs feeling otherwise). Unfortunately not to be. General consensus seemed to be that it was a toughie this year... and so it should be...

Thanks Travs - got it - much appreciated!!

I still think it sounds like you and everyone did extremely well

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    In my experience, a re-entrant is also so named as you can re-enter it several times when trying to locate the control especially when the clag is down. Thankfully MWIS got that wrong or there would have been a lot of potential for walkabout this year.

The one I struggled to find was the stream junction on Blisco. Looking at route gadget, I was not alone! Probably cost me 10 minutes.