Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

The classic course was brutal. Weather was ok, a little bit of clag when I was near glaramara (which left me wandering round looking for 4 for a bit) but otherwise visibility was fine. Just too long for me (and most others!), I decided to quit at kirk fell after an attempt to contour round it went very badly wrong, and ended up climbing onto the summit anyway. The descent off the front of there was horrific, remind me to avoid that Bofra race. Then a long trudge back to Eskdale via burnmoor tarn, luckily I fell in with another runner in the same position so having a chat made it go more quickly. Tough day but in lovely areas, and it was quieter on the hills than I expected. Looking forward to next year.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I was out walking on the fells north of Wasdale on Sunday (having done my racing the day before on Scafell Pike, when the only meteorological problem was heat).

In the morning, I was listening to the thunder coming from the direction of Eskdale, wondering about what the LDMT runners were enduring while I just had some light showers. The thunder did seem to have scared most of the walkers off the fells: from Red Pike, going over Steeple, Scoat Fell, Pillar, and down to Wasdale Head on the Black Sail path, I only saw two pairs of walkers (and no dejected LDMT retirees coming off Kirk Fell).

Back at Wasdale Hall Youth Hostel, there was someone who had done the Medium LDMT course, who told me that when he left Eskdale just before 5pm there had been only one finisher in the Classic.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    So the classic came out as 42.8Km with 3400m for the winner - one of only 2 to complete within the time cut-off. A very impressive performance given the difficulty of the terrain etc.

An email from the organisers last night acknowledged they may have got it wrong...

It is however clear that in the planner’s desire to set testing courses, and most runners are keen for the courses to be a challenge, that something went wrong in the calculations.This was obviously most significant on the Classic course, but the Medium and Short were also rather too long. We offer our apologies; we will reflect upon our processes and learn from this."
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Fair to say the courses were a bit 'ambitious' but I had a big day out, and definitely felt challenged, which is what I really like about the event. Hopefully a bit shorter next year though!

Same here - the reason I always try to enter the Trial is precisely because it's a challenge. Whether I finish the course or not, it's always a big day out in the hills that takes me to out of the way places that I might not otherwise visit.

Looking forward to next year!

I'm quite pleased to have been involved in one of the hardest Mountain Trials ever and probably one of the hardest fell races ever. Other than the famous one in 1962 (the one that even Joss Naylor pulled out of) I don't think there has been a lower finish rate. Quite a story to tell the grandkids. Still had a great day out and explored some new places in the fells.

I had to smile when the organisers stated that the list of completions had already been updated. Won't have taken them very long this year! Also had to smile when I reread the title of this thread
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've just had a look at the results, and noticed that the Short course participants included several people in V60 and V70 classes who were among the greatest competitors at this type of events in my early orienteering and fell running days (late 1970's and 1980's): Derek Ratcliffe, Peter Haines, Carol McNeill, David and Miriam Rosen. Carol McNeill must be nearly 80 now; she was a W35 when she came 7th in the World Orienteering Championships in 1979.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Indeed Anthony, I think I passed Carol and had a brief chat on the way to CP3. Still going strong as was Peter Haines who started minute or 2 ahead and I didn't see again.

The trial is a challenge. It must be a test of not just the elite fell running community but those that possess true mountain craft and knowledge of the Lakes. I would personally definitely go for another in a similar vein but mindful of the need to attract more runners and although this year was well attended, I'm not sure this addition did much to aspire any new attendees?
    Last edited by PeteS; 12-09-2023 at 10:49 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Post #2 on this thread summed it up really