Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Yes that's the one that did for me...

I made a right pigs ear of CP2 - I wasn't high enough and ended up back-and-forthing in the reentrants below it (love your description PeteS!) and my route to CP4 past Broad Crag was in hindsight not a good one.

Contrary to most, I traversed to the west of Scafell & Slight Side to get to CP5, which looking at split times works out as much the same time as the eastern route.

Fortunately got the Blisco one OK, contouring high to the left of Blisco and counting streams on the far side, but could easily have made a mess of that one too!
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    I made a right pigs ear of CP2 - I wasn't high enough and ended up back-and-forthing in the reentrants below it (love your description PeteS!) and my route to CP4 past Broad Crag was in hindsight not a good one.

Contrary to most, I traversed to the west of Scafell & Slight Side to get to CP5, which looking at split times works out as much the same time as the eastern route.

Fortunately got the Blisco one OK, contouring high to the left of Blisco and counting streams on the far side, but could easily have made a mess of that one too!
    My initial thought was to contour round to the west of Scafell to cp5... but after consulting the map in more detail I went for the Mickledore route... perhaps I should have stuck to my guns, because that huge descent from Mickledore to Great Moss is where it started to get painful...!

I noticed your meandering at cp2 in the playback Bill J, I’m Matthew Heywood
    I chose over the top of Scafell Pike and love that it was just a lump to get over in a hardcore event.
    Legs are a bit achey today; glad the bike to work is downhill.
    I think I was with you Travs over Allen Crags.
    Loving the buzz of having completed my first Trial and looking forward to next year.

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    I noticed your meandering at cp2 in the playback Bill J, I’m Matthew Heywood
    I chose over the top of Scafell Pike and love that it was just a lump to get over in a hardcore event.
    Legs are a bit achey today; glad the bike to work is downhill.
    I think I was with you Travs over Allen Crags.
    Loving the buzz of having completed my first Trial and looking forward to next year.
    Possibly... there was someone with me as I went over top of Allen Crags... we took differing routes to cp4 though...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Hard luck, Pete. Commiserations and sorry I missed you.
    My daughter could not believe how tough the classic route was and I think it looked like the toughest there has been for a long while.

I enjoyed the short again though made a small error on CP1 which cost me a few minutes and then had a complete walkabout on the penultimate CP as I'd originally missed the ghyll I was aiming for by about 100m. Glad the weather was not as bad as predicted and good to see so many youngsters out today.

Top notch chilli too! 😁
    I did the same on the penultimate CP on the short too. Looked back on my Strava and was less than 100m from it but too far to the right. I dropped down quite a bit then after 15 minutes finally decided it couldn't be right ha ha.

Another fantastic day out, well done to all involved.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

You were in good company going to the west of Scafell, looks like Neil Talbott took a similar line. On the other hand your route to CP4 was the same as mine, not such good company! I should have stuck to my original plan of going round Great End to the north and picking up the corridor route.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by CalFerguson View Post
    I did the same on the penultimate CP on the short too. Looked back on my Strava and was less than 100m from it but too far to the right. I dropped down quite a bit then after 15 minutes finally decided it couldn't be right ha ha.

Another fantastic day out, well done to all involved.
    Ha, almost exactly the same as me then. I realised my mistake when I saw Redacre Gill below. Doh!

Anyone going to hazard a guess as to were it might be next year...?

I'm saying east of Kirkstone… Mardale head...?

Sue also went west of Scafell and Slight Side - that was one of her best splits (47:56).

People have talked about it being a tough course. Who remembers 2009? I clocked 42km and 2500m ascent on that one. I was completely broken long before the end!