Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    People have talked about it being a tough course. Who remembers 2009? I clocked 42km and 2500m ascent on that one. I was completely broken long before the end!
    Yes I do Geoff. The middle part was similar-ish sections to this year's classic course, but in reverse.
    Looking at the Routegadget reminded me of that huge long leg from Allen Crags to Great Carrs. For most of us it meant a contour round Bowfell and over Crinkle Crags, but Steve Birkenshaw, who won, dropped all the way down to Mosedale because he knew it was good running.

I had younger legs then (didn't we all) and it was the only time I've managed to be in the top 20% (more-or-less!) in the LDMT.
    6:20 that year, 6:28 this.
    Last edited by BillJ; 18-09-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

This sounds like great fun!! I can imagine the frustration of losing ground and having to recover all too well

I have another couple of questions if you don't mind, are you guys running around with maps and navigating while you are running these races? Do you plan beforehand or are the controls only revealed on the day?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    I have another couple of questions if you don't mind, are you guys running around with maps and navigating while you are running these races? Do you plan beforehand or are the controls only revealed on the day?
    Yes, running around with map and compass.
    Its a different route each year, from a different starting place. You only get to see the map after you start, and everyone starts at minute intervals - so no opportunity to plan beforehand!!

Thanks Billj!

Wow, okay, so I have to admit that my race time on Sunday was definitely assisted by the runners in front of me, it was a marked course and I did spot some of the flags, but mainly I just followed them (I know, I know - but it was my first time and I was just having fun!) but it has made me realise just how much extra effort this is going to take to perform at this level.

I have much to learn and even more respect for you all now - most impressive

Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
    Thanks Billj!

Wow, okay, so I have to admit that my race time on Sunday was definitely assisted by the runners in front of me, it was a marked course and I did spot some of the flags, but mainly I just followed them (I know, I know - but it was my first time and I was just having fun!) but it has made me realise just how much extra effort this is going to take to perform at this level.

I have much to learn and even more respect for you all now - most impressive
    Having fun, enjoying what you're doing, is purely what its about DM. Well done on your first fell race!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anyone going to hazard a guess as to were it might be next year...?

I'm saying east of Kirkstone… Mardale head...?
    Far Eastern fells would be good. I could get tick off that big chunk of Wainwrights I've not done!

I'm going for Northern fells - Mosedale or Mungrisdale - or perhaps NW - Wasdale/Ennerdale.
    Last edited by PeteS; 18-09-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    With the predominance of 're-entrants' it was definitely a navigation trial, with plenty of route choice joined by tricky, technical terrain in the area surrounding the control. Had there been clag I dare say some would still out there.
    I can't imagine how difficult this route would have been in clag. I think I'd still be lost in Eskdale.

Bad luck on control #9. Would have been great to see the Mountain Trial decided by a matter of seconds!

Looking again at the map, the eastern route around Blisco to #9 looks tempting (swapping a tricky contour for about 100m climb). Jack Wright (3rd) went that way and nailed it, but how would you know when/where to descend to be sure of being between the correct streams to hit the control?

Quote Originally Posted by FaTboy View Post
    I can't imagine how difficult this route would have been in clag. I think I'd still be lost in Eskdale.

Bad luck on control #9. Would have been great to see the Mountain Trial decided by a matter of seconds!

Looking again at the map, the eastern route around Blisco to #9 looks tempting (swapping a tricky contour for about 100m climb). Jack Wright (3rd) went that way and nailed it, but how would you know when/where to descend to be sure of being between the correct streams to hit the control?
    Go East then look for the path junction at 278043 the a rough bearing and count streams.That's what i did when control checking on a day of low cloud and driving drizzle and only a mini cairn to mark the spot and it worked fine. I, of course, was not in a hurry and i hadn't already run 30K.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Yep I recall the control on Allen Crags being on a knoll rather than at the tarn where it should have been and Mike Robinson looking at that leg and saying "bl**dy H*ll mike we're going to Coniston"
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

Sun 13th Sept 2020.... Loweswater Village Hall (start of Buttermere Horseshoe race).