Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Some interesting routes out that way.
    Looking forward to it already!

It does look an interesting venue.... anyone for Lank Rigg?!?

Trying to plan my calendar for next year, and having missed Peris this year, and the addition of the South Mynd Tour champs race (or Black Mountains in the Welsh Champs) into an already busy month... I may have to commit the ultimate sin and give the LDMT the chop for next year...

This year's Mountain Trial has been cancelled. Gutted

http://www.ldmta.org.uk/entry.html

I was really hoping this was one of the races that may have been possible to put on this year with competitors starting at one minute intervals and no set route. Sadly, not to be with sound reasoning behind the decision.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Also very gutted to hear this, as i have accomm booked for this weekend. Perhaps something long instead.

I wonder if they'll keep the 2020 venue the same for 2021....

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

I wonder if they'll keep the 2020 venue the same for 2021....
    I have a concern that many races cancelled this year will not go ahead next year due to a growing NIMBY attitude amongst residents of villages, including my own, where the events are based.

This will not be restricted to Fell Running but to any event that attracts large numbers of people from all over the country.

Whilst not in agreement with it I do have some sympathy with that point of view.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It's a shame but I think it's understandable for such a complicated event. I've had very mixed fortunes with the Trial. I haven't done it often but out of six entries two have been cancelled altogether (Eskdale and Borrowdale) and two have had the shortened courses (Thirlspot and Mungrisedale). Never the organisers fault, just the weather. I haven't entered for a year or two now as I'm usually away but I am tempted for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinny View Post
    This year's Mountain Trial has been cancelled. Gutted
    http://www.ldmta.org.uk/entry.html
    I was really hoping this was one of the races that may have been possible to put on this year with competitors starting at one minute intervals and no set route. Sadly, not to be with sound reasoning behind the decision.
    Like you Quinny, I was hoping the LDMT would be on with its advantage of staggered starts and route choice.

The OMM organisers are currently hoping to still be able to put that on. Fingers crossed.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    Like you Quinny, I was hoping the LDMT would be on with its advantage of staggered starts and route choice.

The OMM organisers are currently hoping to still be able to put that on. Fingers crossed.
    We were talking about the OMM at our club run on Tuesday and wondering whether it would go ahead. I think it's going to be difficult and Llani Boy is right in that most villages won't want to take the (extremely small) risk of a load of potentially Covid carrying fell runners/cyclists/others arriving from different parts of the country and infecting their village. At the moment would organisers have to ban competitors from Leicester or just hope that they stayed at home? It's won't be easy to put on a race in the current climate.

The LDMT stated that "The decision to cancel has been made in view of uncertainties over Government restrictions, insurance cover, the granting of land use permissions and the goodwill of the local community."
    I can't see how the OMM can get round these uncertainties although I really hope they can. I think it might be a long time before races resume especially for adults.

I'm hoping that children's races might be able to start again in September so my daughters can race again. This is when the government effectively removes the need for social distancing for children by reopening the schools.
    Mike Quinn
    Esk Valley Fell Club

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Entry is now open. I think with the complete lack of any fell running for me of late, I'll be entering the short again.

I think i'm going to miss it this year unfortunately.

Planning a trip in the opposite direction to you PeteS, to run the Stretton Skyline and South Mynd Tour on consecutive weekends in mid-september.

Which is a shame... but september is always packed with clashes, and potentially even moreso this year.