Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Just finished todays classic course. Was first starter, weather was pretty good, clear visibility on tops after about the first hour. Had a much better run than 2019 and finished in middle of pack in 33rd.

Think legs 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 had the most route choice, the other legs seemed to me to have a fairly obvious route choice. Travs, we did end up to the west of Hen Comb and I can confirm that it was boggy and very uneven, not good for tired legs!

Good to be able to sit on the grass at the end and catch up with a few people from my old club in York.

Results which has a link to RouteGadget
    https://www.sportident.co.uk/results/LDMTA/2021/LDMTA/

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    The classic looked tough. Must have been some interesting route choices coming back over to the Buttermere/Ennerdale side what with no swimming allowed!

I respectable 25th in the short for me. Initially disappointed but with the year I have had, I'm glad to have just finished.
    There was little in the way of running crossing from Blake fell to Hen Comb and down to Floutern Tarn. Horrible bog, tussocky grass, heather and peat hags to contend with. Much better progress after that until the descent to the foot of Mellbreak which saw me come a cropper a couple of times. Then an absolute mare trying to find CP5 as I contoured round far too high, realised my mistake and then ended up descending in waist high bracken. Enjoyed it thoroughly though and glad there's life in the old dog yet.

Well done Pete and Chris.

The Classic looks as tough as ever, and some really interesting route choices taken on the RouteGadget.

Any predictions on where this might be this year?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Patterdale/Glenridding. Hopefully we'll find out in next few weeks.

September is always busy, and i've got space for one more race... either the Trial, or the Black Mountains British Champs race.... really is too much fantastic choice in September!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Looking at the list of previous locations, if you were a betting man you would probably plump for somewhere in the far Eastern fells or on the opposite fringes of the Lakes e.g Wastwater. I guess a lot comes down to availability of host venues though. Personally, I'd love a trial in the Northern fells - plenty of good running and some challenging nav if the weather is bad. Having recently completed the Wainwright book, it's reasonably familiar territory so I may stand a chance of not getting too lost!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I'd thought Far Eastern Fells, but wondered if Howtown/Longsleddale etc had the capacity to hold 500 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Any predictions on where this might be this year?

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Patterdale/Glenridding. Hopefully we'll find out in next few weeks.

September is always busy, and i've got space for one more race... either the Trial, or the Black Mountains British Champs race.... really is too much fantastic choice in September!
    I was injured last year and this year the wife has a 100k race on so I'm on parenting duties for the 3 nippers. Sad time!

The RabMM was overnight in Longsleddale in 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd thought Far Eastern Fells, but wondered if Howtown/Longsleddale etc had the capacity to hold 500 people.

Quote Originally Posted by felltrumpet View Post
    The RabMM was overnight in Longsleddale in 2014
    And the last ever KIMM was based just outside Pooley Bridge with an overnight camp in Swindale.

St John's in the Vale then....

Would imagine it would head east into Dodds/Helvellyn range. But i suppose it could possibly head west to High Tove-Ullscarf, then cross at Dunmail, a la the Grasmere race a couple of years ago...

Sadly i'll not be there... September a notoriously congested month for races, and this year i'm going for a big pb at Stretton Skyline, the British Champs at Black Mtns, and Peris... that's enough for anyone!