Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Interesting choice. I think you are right, Pete. Seems logical to head South and East to take in the Dodds and Helvellyn range and beyond. But there again, I stated (probably on this thread somewhere) that the Grasmere trial wouldn't cross the main road so what do I know!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Been reading a bit about the history of the LDMT.

The old courses in the 50's and 60's were basically just a list of mountain summits... for example starting at Seathwaite, and the only checkpoints being Pillar, Scafell Pike and Scafell...

Also another one starting in Wasdale, had a similar theme, taking in a number of inconveniently placed summits on both sides of Wastwater.

It would really be attractive to me to go back to a similar theme... don't get me wrong, its fantastic as it is... imagine this year's event from St Johns in the Vale having checkpoints such as... Hart Side, Birks, Hart Crag, Birkhouse Moor, Green Side.... now there's a proper day out.... simplicity is the key (and no re-entrants!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Been reading a bit about the history of the LDMT.

The old courses in the 50's and 60's were basically just a list of mountain summits... for example starting at Seathwaite, and the only checkpoints being Pillar, Scafell Pike and Scafell...

Also another one starting in Wasdale, had a similar theme, taking in a number of inconveniently placed summits on both sides of Wastwater.

It would really be attractive to me to go back to a similar theme... don't get me wrong, its fantastic as it is... imagine this year's event from St Johns in the Vale having checkpoints such as... Hart Side, Birks, Hart Crag, Birkhouse Moor, Green Side.... now there's a proper day out.... simplicity is the key (and no re-entrants!!)
    Sounds like a great idea - especially the 'no re-entrants' bit. Had enough of those on the Langdale trial to last a few years yet....

I was looking over the map recently and pondering whether we may see something akin to the Patterdale 2014 trial for the short and medium courses.

What you get depends on the planner.
    Sometimes you get someone with a an orienteering influence so the fine nav is more prevalent.
    Sometimes you get someone more fell background so it's a bit more ridgelines and macros route choices.
    Variety is the spice of life.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Entries are open for this year's Mountain Trial. It will be based in St Johns in the Vale.
    Entry fee kept at the same price as the last many years. Includes, map, sportident timing, meal at end and a very extensive prize list. Got to be up there as one of the best value races? especially if you stay out for 6 or 7 hours..........

Entries through SportIdent https://www.sientries.co.uk/event.ph...&event_id=9767

So after about 18 months of injury rehab where I'm not only able to run on hills again, I even managed a reasonably quick (for a 56yo!) road 10k race last month, the question is do I go for the safe short again or do I up the stakes and go medium? Classic is definitely out.....
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Go for Medium. It's a nice morning/day/weekend out....

I was considering the long, I've not run it for a few years but I've done a few 50k/60k races this year and will have spent a month in the Alps so should be going fairly well. Having said that my nav was shocking at the last Kong MM....

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Go for Medium. It's a nice morning/day/weekend out....

I was considering the long, I've not run it for a few years but I've done a few 50k/60k races this year and will have spent a month in the Alps so should be going fairly well. Having said that my nav was shocking at the last Kong MM....
    Well good luck if you go for the long race - sure makes a good day out for some!

Looking at previous stated distances/climb for short and medium races and then comparing to my actual routes throws up a ballpark 30% factor for estimating actual distance and climb. So I'd guess that this year's short 15km/1100m and medium 21km/1500m are more likely to yield 19.5km/1450m and 27km/1950m respectively.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Entries Close for this year's Mountain Trial at the end of August.

This year's trial takes place at St John's in the Vale, full details and entries on the race website. https://www.ldmta.org.uk/

Hey Travs, I see you star on the LDMT info page!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog