Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Perhaps it is just as popular as the organisers want it to be. The larger an event gets the more problems there are in orgainsing it over and above creating a safe and challenging event for the participants.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by david.s.fountain View Post
    Had a great run (and walk) round the classic at the Lake district mountain trial this year and last year. A really well designed course, brilliant atmosphere. I can't for the life of me work out why its not more popular. Surely people aren't put off by the navigation?
    I'm one of those that haven't done this and I've never done an MM either. I would love to. I don't have any fear on navigation - I'm usually first to put my hands up for the nav leg at the relays

What I struggle for is time. My lifestyle doesn't allow me to get to as many events as I would like now. I find it harder to get to full day events and so tend to limit them and events that tie me up for a few days, well forget it.

I also struggle for physical ability to get around something like this. I just about get myself in shape to get around the Three Peaks so unless I get more time to improve my basic fitness and spend some time in tougher terrain I wouldn't put myself at risk by attempting such an event.

When our circumstances change, which they may do in the next year or so, then I would hope that me and my wife can start at the entry level pairs MMs and see where it takes us.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Perhaps it is just as popular as the organisers want it to be. The larger an event gets the more problems there are in orgainsing it over and above creating a safe and challenging event for the participants.
    I've always got this kind of impression. Plus it's a bit of a "local event for local folk"
    Poacher turned game-keeper

With regard to the OP, why is it necessary that what you do is "popular"? Just do what you enjoy doing regardless of how few other people are doing it.
    As long as there are enough entrants to sustain the event (obviously so, it's been running for 60 years now) then cherish the fact that what you do is not being swamped by the masses.
    My knees would not allow me to complete a marathon course these days; but even when running at my best, I would never have dreamt of entering the London Marathon; purely because of the "over popular" factor.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    This has been a very helpful discussion. We (the LDMTA committee) will certainly consider some of the ideas that have been suggested here. While there is a limit to the overall numbers we can safely handle, the limit is probably more like 400 rather than the 170 we had this year. So we would definitely welcome more entries. It is a very special (and historic) race which most fell runners will enjoy provided they have some navigational skills. And there are now three different courses open to all: Classic, Medium and Short.

The promo to those who have run before is pretty good - I get a few emails from SI entries a year saying entries are open, remember this, last chance.
    As a Fell Runner who orienteers the LDMT is ideal for me but I've only managed one (I was entered for the called-off event in 2013). The last 2 years there seem to have been clashes (although this years was a Pyrenean holiday).
    One issues is a bit of calendar congestion at that time - normally the last English Champs race will be in early/mid September. Then there's 3 Shires, Scafell, Yorkshireman off-road marathons etc. around that time. It's also not far out from relay season so a big day out may put a few off.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    The event comes across as an elite event which, in my mind, is a good thing. Despite having been fellrunning for over ten years I have not yet entered the LDMT. I can move confidently over rough terrain and can look after myself in the mountains but my navigation is poor. It is for this reason I have never entered. I intend to have a stab one year once I have practised my navigation and feel confident that I can make sensible route choices. The LDMT should not be diluted - it is for us to rise to the challenge. My full respect goes to those who can run quickly, make sound route choices and navigate - unfortunately, I spend too much time following the vest in front!
    Trust me, if they allow me entry it's surely not elite!

To those put off by the length of the classic trial, I would suggest entering the medium or short courses. The short in particular is aimed at novices or those (like myself this year) who are not physically up to the full trial. That said, I would have thought this year's short trial was about AM standard - I clocked 18k & just over 1000M ascent. Last year's short was definitely BL (maybe AL?) unless you were very brave on route choice.
    Last edited by PeteS; 22-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Trust me, if they allow me entry it's surely not elite!

To those put off by the length of the classic trial, I would suggest entering the medium or short courses. The short in particular is aimed at novices or those (like myself this year) who are not physically up to the full trial. That said, I would have thought this year's short trial was about AM standard - I clocked 18k & just over 1000M ascent. Last year's short was definitely BL (maybe AL?) unless you were very brave on route choice.
    Ditto me! I was comfortably last on the classic this year but I did get round and it was my 20th completion. It is not a bit elitist and certainly not just for t'locals ( although a bit of local knowledge does help).some of the prizes and trophies mentioned by gaw are worth having ( the Outward bound trophy is available to anyone who has ever done an outward bound course BUT it is lump of rock which will put your back out if you try to lift it). Whilst pairs are not allowed to compete as such, people often wait for a mate and run round together thereby effectively making a pair which might be a good way to start trialling. I imagine the organisation would be sympathetic towards a request for similar start times for any "pair" who wanted to give it a go.
    Mike Hind
    Borrowdale Fell runners

There does seem to be a fair amount of 'I'm not good enough' attitude and handwringing - in life in general - that stops people doing things.
    Get on with it I say! You don't know what you're capable of it until push the envelope!
    Plenty of smaller 3h score nav events coming up over winter and into spring next year to practise at!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    With regard to the OP, why is it necessary that what you do is "popular"? Just do what you enjoy doing regardless of how few other people are doing it.
    As long as there are enough entrants to sustain the event (obviously so, it's been running for 60 years now) then cherish the fact that what you do is not being swamped by the masses.
    My knees would not allow me to complete a marathon course these days; but even when running at my best, I would never have dreamt of entering the London Marathon; purely because of the "over popular" factor.

I have no desire do something because it is popular, need I love going out training feeling like I have the fells to myself. I was just curious that there weren't more entries for what has become my favorite event of the year.