Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: LDMT why not more popular

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Philg View Post
    Any thoughts on the weather forecast on Sunday - looks "interesting", particularly the high winds!?
    Well that was interesting. I think the medium and classic were abandoned due to the atrocious weather. Earlier start times on the short were the order of the day before the bad weather truly set in. Shame I was last but one to start! Finished but was tough this year.

A big thank you to the Marshalls sat out there in that weather. I made it round the short and at times the weather wasn't too bad but on the exposed sections it was rotten; i got blown off my feet a couple of times on Haystacks. I'm glad they had the barn and awesome chilli at the end to recover in!

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwalker View Post
    A big thank you to the Marshalls sat out there in that weather. I made it round the short and at times the weather wasn't too bad but on the exposed sections it was rotten; i got blown off my feet a couple of times on Haystacks. I'm glad they had the barn and awesome chilli at the end to recover in!
    Indeed I really felt for the marshals today. They did a sterling job and the chilli and cake were top notch.
    Wind was at its worst for me on Dale head and then going down into Dubbs on Haystacks. Rain by then was just torrential and every beck I crossed seemed to be knee deep at least. Understandable why the classic and medium were cancelled. Tough call but the right one given the near hypothermic runners I encountered on Haystacks

Well said PeteS
    Excellent event, as always. Great course, top marshaling/organisation and challenging weather. Massive thank you to all of you, that made it happen in spite of the weather.
    I bailed out at Honister. I am blaming poor kit choice, rather than being a wuss. Lesson learned, hopefully.

Lots of smiley faces, on competitors, marshals and organizers faces, which makes it a success in my book.

Agree, big thanks to the marshals who were out in some fairly wild weather - it was ok whilst moving, but I wouldn't have wanted to be sat still out there for long.
    Great event, really enjoyed the route choices on the classic and though completely understand the decision to abandon the race, and support it, was still a bit disappointed as I was kinda having fun out there! The chilli and cake made up for it though.
    Tim Ripper
    Black Combe Runners

Just to echo what everyone has already said above, top event with great organisation and hardy marshals. I thoroughly enjoyed my first event and plodded round the medium, got quite disorientated in the clag on Kirk Fell and made it to the finish only to be told the event had been abandoned - I wondered why I hadn't seen anyone since CP4! I really enjoyed it regardless of what happens with the results.

Also, the weather didn't stop Joss and he completed his 50th LDMT. Unbelievable stuff!

I had the pleasure of marshaling at CP5 on the Classic and breaking the bad/good news to runners coming through. It was unfortunate for those who were looking strong, and understandable why some were disappointed, though most folk took it well (and there were definitely a few relieved smiles). Everyone got down safe off the hill, which is the important thing.

Chapeau! to everyone who took part in some pretty testing conditions.
    Geoff Clarke

Great day out no matter the weather. Thanks to all who sat out in the rain waiting for us to squelsh around. As others have said , abandonment of the race is secondary to everyone safe at the end and a good event. Food was excellent too.

I tried to make a point of being really grateful to all the checkpoint marshals, as conditions for them were much worse than for us competitors.

I was also surprised to discover, on completing the Medium course, that it had been cancelled. Most of the Classic competitors I spoke too were quite disappointed that they had to stop, especially my partner as she felt really strong at CP 5 and had just made the decision that she could definitely finish from there. It was surprising that we didn't start on the bad weather courses, as the weather was pretty much exactly as forecast.

Back to the event though - to get from Styhead to Kirk Fell I decided to take the traversing path on the Wasdale side of Gable and it took me an eternity. Was that simply a stupid choice or did I not pick up the proper path in the mist maybe? I wonder if I'd have been better going via Windy Gap.

Thanks once again to all the hardy marshals.

Well I was loving it, but can se why it was called off, mainly for the Marshals' sake as it can't have been much fun up there - those at CP5 almost looked a bit put out that I could retreat from the hill whilst they had to stay out

Anyway, claiming a win on Duckworth-Lewis method...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy