Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fellraisers v Mudclaws?

Fellraisers v Mudclaws?

Doing the Mournes Skyline, so lots of mud, presume it'll be wet in October, stretches of granite slabs etc.

Walsh PBs fell apart a couple of weeks back, which was a pity as I liked them. Was thinking XTalons, but the general reaction seems to be that they are better on shorter races, maybe a bit more of a thoroughbred. Friends doing it in Mudclaws, but they seem that bit more expensive than Fellraisers. Anyone got any idea of the 2 and how they compare, are they remotely comparable? And within the Salomon range, is the Fellraiser more aggressively soled than the Speedcross?

Master
    Fell raisers are more comfortable, and wider in the forefoot. Both have very good grip, with the Mudclaws that bit better on wet rock.

I am led to believe that X-talons are a good trail/fell hybrid shoe and am looking at them myself for similar sorts of events. Strangely my Walsh PB are also on the way out but the high stack height makes my dodgy ankles feel unstable so I probably wont replace them.

I've always been a bit dubious about the really aggressive Mudclaws for anything other than close to pure fell running, they are just so aggressive.

The new fell raisers have "contigrip", it feel softer and looks like it will provide better grip on wet rocks as a result. I've yet to try myself.

Master
    Despite the "contagrip", the fellraisers are not quite as good on wet rock as mudclaws, though they might be better than contagrip-less fellraisers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Despite the "contagrip", the fellraisers are not quite as good on wet rock as mudclaws, though they might be better than contagrip-less fellraisers.
    Contra grip less Fellraisers are truly awful on wet rock, even steep wet roads! Mudclaws would be my preference, even if they have improved the Fellraises grip.

if you liked the Walsh PB, why not buy some more??

Quote Originally Posted by obrienk View Post
    if you liked the Walsh PB, why not buy some more??
    Was looking at that...but the way they fell apart kinda put me off.

Now, I should say in fairness to Walsh I got them from another person, so not sure how long they were used. The soles seemed perfect, was happy out with the grip on them on the few times I used them (though the shoe did seem very flat so not sure how my feet would stand up to 35km/3400m in the Mournes in late October), and then the sole just came away from the upper!
    Last edited by Conor74; 18-09-2015 at 12:42 PM.

How can i identify the new version with contragrip?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyros76 View Post
    How can i identify the new version with contragrip?
    The grip is black. if you zoom in on this picture, it says in on the side of the shoe.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-fellraiser-shoes-aw15/