Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fellraisers v Mudclaws?

Ok thanks. I also checked the SS15 version here http://www.wiggle.co.uk/salomon-fell...-shoes-ss15-1/ and the green color Fellraiser also has the contragrip logo on the side. The strange is that all colors and versions (even the black-orange SS15 which doesn't have the red logo on the side) have the red contragrip mark on the sole.

I've had Mudclaws and I have Fellraisers now.

I found the Mudclaws OK except for around the toe box and I also didn't find them so comfortable on longer efforts.

I find the Fellraisers more comfortable. They were slippy at first on anything from rock, cobble, tarmac even. So I ran a few miles on the canal towpath which is fine gravel base to scuff them up a little and it seems to have worked.

Many soles now are moulded and seem to have a silicon type release agent giving an initial slippier feel. You can perhaps imagine getting an aggressively studded sole out of a mould might not be easy

The compound does differ between makes and even types, but the last couple of runs in my Fellraisers has seen them grip better - one of them had a 1km climb up a cobbled section in Roddlesworth which is always quite wet and a good test of grip.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I like both. In really muddy conditions or on steep slopes nothing beats Mudclaws for me. But for anything else the Fellraisers are great - they are more comfortable than Mudclaws and offer a bit more support which I like. The Fellraisers have significantly better grip than the Speedcross 3s.
    I've walked and I've crawled on six crooked highways

Which of the 3 would you suggest for loose scree and rocky terrain?