Thread: Wainwright Outlying Fells

Wainwright Outlying Fells

I'm sure plenty on here (including myself) have done all of the 214 Wainwrights and others, probably fewer have done all the fells depicted in AW's outlying fells book but, has anyone ever done the outlying fells as a single expedition?

Despite the fells being mostly of modest elevation (the highest is Walna Scar, just over 2000'), their distribution is such that it would make for a very taxing trip. If you were to add up the routes depicted in AWs book, you're looking at 260 miles and 50,000' ascent. I've yet to calculate it but if you were to join up the summits in a line, the distance might be less (the routes in the book were all circular walks).

Am contemplating something like this, i.e. a bit different and wondered if anyone else had already done anything similar?

Sounds like a great idea to me. Aside from that meagre piece of encouragement I'm afraid I can't offer and more help!
    Adam Speed
    P&B

I must confess to never having considered these tops as a single continuous foot journey.
    What had crossed my mind was to cycle / B&B between the various circular routes described by Wainwright; thus bagging them all in a self propelled outing over several days .... maybe take 2 weeks over it, savouring the moment(s) being a higher priority than setting a record.
    Many will have already completed one of AW's circular routes, in reverse .... the Dunnerdale Fell Race.

Ian Roberts, Bowland F.R.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I like the idea of cycling between them. Will dig out my old 1-inch scale map of the lakes and check the logistics for both running and running/cycling.

Master
    You will struggle to get a completion at the moment as High Knott is privately owned and the owner has decided to exclude walkers so there is around a 100 mtrs where you will be trespassing .
    The problem is being looked into and hopefully a right of way has been established after years of use, time will tell
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    You will struggle to get a completion at the moment as High Knott is privately owned and the owner has decided to exclude walkers so there is around a 100 mtrs where you will be trespassing .
    The problem is being looked into and hopefully a right of way has been established after years of use, time will tell
    That's a shame, and an unusual bar to those of us looking to cook up these sorts of challenges. Ah well, that's one for the back burner then

I got as far as plotting a route out, & reckoned a fortnight's walking would do it. Not revisited it for a running trip yet. High Knott in the dark then...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    I got as far as plotting a route out, & reckoned a fortnight's walking would do it. Not revisited it for a running trip yet. High Knott in the dark then...
    perhaps High Knott should be treated a little like Kanchenjunga!? You are not allowed to go right to the top, but can still count it as an ascent getting as near as allowed!

Kanchenjunga might be a little more tricky though in getting that few feet allowed from the summit!

Out of interest I plotted these out today and very quickly knocked out a vague route. It’s got to be in the region of 200 miles to link them all together, starting from Pooley Bridge and finishing up near Caldbeck.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Out of interest I plotted these out today and very quickly knocked out a vague route. It’s got to be in the region of 200 miles to link them all together, starting from Pooley Bridge and finishing up near Caldbeck.
    I once had the idea of bagging these in a more genteel fashion. Wainwright gives them as routes of 4 or 5 tops such that each route could be completed in a circular outing. My notion was to take 2 or 3 weeks cycle touring between each of AW's routes, obtaining B&B every evening. Never did "get on with it"!

Aaaagh. Already mentioned this in post #3, above.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 28-07-2019 at 11:53 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!