Thread: Lake District 3 X 3000

Lake District 3 X 3000

So anybody doing the Lake District 3 x 3000 Ultra Trail next weekend? Or comments from anyone who did it last year?

It's my first race since surgery for a broken ankle last year so I'll be aiming for self preservation first and foremost

The course seems nicely thought out staying almost entirely off road but also looks well designed to systematically wreck body and mind (and especially feet) with a real sting in the tail taking you all the way round the back of Skiddaw before climbing it and then hurtling down Jenkin hill on mashed quads. Footwear choice is a bit of a dilemma - Scafell Pike, The Bog, descent from Clough Head and Skiddaw all unattractive in trail shoes but the sheer distance too much for fell shoes...

Feeling generally underprepared and increasingly scared but that's nothing new

P

I am thinking of fell shoes to Wythburn, then changing to a trail shoe, my be slippy coming off clough head but the rest should be ok. I guess it also depends on what the weather thinks.

Steve

Did it last year need to pace it well so you can make good time after the climb of helvelyn where the going gets better underfoot. Also made sure kept enough back to run the dis used railway track to latrigg

What did you wear on your feet last year and was it a good choice?

They shortened the course for extreme weather I gather so we don't have any benchmarks for timing - I'm guessing it's going to be a bit tougher and take a bit longer than the Lakeland 50

P

Wore inov8 rockets they were fine just a couple of slips coming down clough head. Think the Times for the full course in good conditions will be similar to last year's. The rain was biblical for the run/swim down borrwdale

Thanks for that.

I think I'll be in Scott Kinabalu Supertracs but I'm a bit concerned at the big heel being a bit too "ankle turny". If it's bone dry I might chance the Brooks Cascadia, which did me proud for the UTLD 100, but will likely mean accepting a bit of time on my arse

Happy days

I'm going to run it in new balance Leadville trail shoes.Going for comfort rather than grip. Be a grand day out for sure.