Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Decomposition

Decomposition

I know for many of us the most annoying thing while out on the fells is to find litter specially places popular among walkers. I don't take bananas when out but do take oranges and apples. I don't throw orange peels but been told apple core decomposes quickly and okay to be left in the wild and actually doing nature a favour. What do people think?

Also when nature calls, what's the best way to decompose human waste? Does it take long for human waste to decay?

_|_
    ./\.

It's not necessarily how long it takes to decompose, but whether it's natural in that environment. In other words, you can still change (or damage) an ecosystem by adding lots of things even if they decompose very quickly.

Perhaps we should carry poo bags on our runs like some of us do for our dogs.

but dogs normally leave a 'nice' solid turd easily pick-upable.
    If we were to have to carry our leavings behind, I'd have to invent the adult running nappy...
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan Khan View Post
    I know for many of us the most annoying thing while out on the fells is to find litter specially places popular among walkers. I don't take bananas when out but do take oranges and apples. I don't throw orange peels but been told apple core decomposes quickly and okay to be left in the wild and actually doing nature a favour. What do people think?

Also when nature calls, what's the best way to decompose human waste? Does it take long for human waste to decay?
    if it doesn't exist where you are naturally it's litter. that includes apple cores...

What benefit would it bring?

Human waste needs burying at least 50m from a path or water course minimum, between 4-6 inches depth. putting a stone on it doesn't count.

In the cairngorms you are now supposed to carry out human waste.

The eco system of some tops has been drastically changed by people having their ashes spread on them.

2 years for a banana skin to decompose,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/...ds/8263161.stm

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Human waste needs burying at least 50m from a path or water course minimum, between 4-6 inches depth. putting a stone on it doesn't count.
    That's never really going to happen when you're out on a run. If you're wild camping - perhaps. Maybe we need mini running trowels.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That's never really going to happen when you're out on a run. If you're wild camping - perhaps. Maybe we need mini running trowels.
    Well if they now become compulsory FRA kit they will forever be known as Noel's Bowel Trowels.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well if they now become compulsory FRA kit they will forever be known as Noel's Bowel Trowels.
    There's a brand name that will make me a million.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Like!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    if it doesn't exist where you are naturally it's litter. that includes apple cores...

What benefit would it bring?
    Been told it turns in to compost and fertilizes the ground. Happy to carry the apple cores if its going to spoil the eco-system.

I've been thinking about doing proper long days backpacking and wanting to know to deal with the waste without damaging the environment. Burying seems a better idea than carrying it.

_|_
    ./\.