Thread: OMM - Lowther Hills

OMM - Lowther Hills

Anyone around who last ran the KIMM in 1993, when they were last in this region? If so, what are your recollections of the area and the courses from that weekend?

Cheers
    P.

Re: OMM - Lowther Hills

Elite was a good course as I remember it, fairly good going especialy compared to last year. Day one was east of the main road and hillier day two was west and not as hilly. In these warmer days and post the original foot and mouth I would not be suprised to find it has slowed down.

The leading two teams had a head to head dual all the second day on the Elite and are meant to of run every step of the way although I remember quite a stiff climb 4 or 5 km from the finish which I would not of been running up if it was just a 3 mile race up and down it... There is a story I don't know the truth of which that getting toward the finish of day two, one of the fell running pair at the front asked the one of the Orienteering pair what his best time was for 800 metres was, 1.51 was the reply and the O pair duly won the dual.

Ifor

Quote Originally Posted by ifor View Post
    There is a story I don't know the truth of which that getting toward the finish of day two, one of the fell running pair at the front asked the one of the Orienteering pair what his best time was for 800 metres was, 1.51 was the reply and the O pair duly won the dual.

Ifor
    Nice story....I do hope it's a true one!

Tussocks. Lots of them. Our course took us over the hills south-east of the Lowthers on Day 1, and the moors west of the Nith on Day 2. Good running on our all-to-brief visit to the actual Lowthers - or rather, there would have been if I'd been able to run at that point.