Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: winter racing jacket

Haglofs seem to have changed the type of Gore-tex, and therefore the weight on these LIM jackets.

Looks like they used to be Paclite ( not so breathable in my experience ) and about 250g, but the latest AW15 version looks like it's now Active Shell ( a lot more breathable than Paclite I find ), but now 345g

Make sure you either find an older one if looking for the lighter version, or a new one if looking for a more breathable but heavier version.

If looking for a "winter jacket" then I'd say the Active Shell version would be a better option, but depends what you want from a jacket.

Thanks for the mention Nic. Looking at the post you linked to, I think it may need updating a little.
    I ended up getting an omm aether smock last year and its nearly, but not quite perfect.

I'll do a bit of snooping around and see if I can write a quick update in the next week or so.

Like Ba-Ba says, it's not just while your running you need to keep warm, will you be ok if you have to stop? I was injured in a summer series race and had to walk to the end. I needed a hat and waterproof to keep warm.

Belay jackets like http://www.montane.co.uk/range/men/down/fireball-smock or http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/syn...xenon-x-hoodie are good emergency layers. For racing, this would be as well as a waterproof, not instead of.

Great for keeping warm, before and after races, standing around waiting to be awarded a trophy(not tried this yet and probably never will), dog walking and going to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by sbrt View Post
    Love that guide
    Surely this is the last hill, right...

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Merino base layer. Have you ever seen a cold sheep?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spr View Post
    How would you know?
    They go brr instead of baa!
    Last edited by PeteS; 08-10-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That looks to be the sort of thing I after, I.e a warmer layer to team up with my waterproof and my base layer (which is more than a base layer really, a hooded asics running 'thermal' top, but pretty thin and not going to be up to any severe winter temperatures...)
    I find the OMM Vector to be pretty good base layer when it's cold.
    https://www.theomm.com/products/clothing/vector-zip/

Coupled up with a Kamleika smock seems to do the trick for me. Have an extra lightweight fleece in the sack for emergencies and if really cold a Buffalo mountain shirt.
    Wind/water-proof overgloves are a must too.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast