Thread: Camping Setup

Camping Setup

Hi all,

Considering investing in a camping setup for trips out to the fells. Complete novice in this area but have some vague idea that I'd like to have the option of packing it all up and carrying it with me on multi day trips whilst keeping it as light as possible. Does anyone on here do this sort of thing and what equipment would you recommend?

Cheers
    Mark

There's such a huge spectrum from what you can get away with (for how much of the year?) at the cheaper (and often heavier) end and the top end best quality lightest and built to last stuff.

In the latter camp (sorry) is the Hilleberg Nammatj 2 man tent which I'd strongly recommend, but then for occasional 1 or 2 season use there are perfectly decent things for less than a quarter of the price. Mountain Hardware, Terra Nova, TNF, Crux all make great tents. Similarly PHD, ME, and Rab down sleeping bags. You'll also be grateful for a lightweight Thermarest or similar, certainly for 3/4 season. Stove depends on whether you want to cook or just heat water - Jetfoil and MSR Windboiler brilliant for the latter. Then there's the backpack - most comfortable carry or lightest mountain marathon style?

Have you got an idea on how many seasons and what budget?

P

although from an American perspective, this might be of use:
    http://www.irunfar.com/2014/12/the-d...stpacking.html
    a search for fastpacking might also bring up some ideas, as will looking for Mountain Marathon tips, which will be a bit moreUK-based...
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Just bought an MSR Hubba HP, which looks the business and I am itching to get out on the hills with it.