Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of hiking poles

Use of hiking poles

Hi all,

I have never seen anyone using hiking poles in the fell races I have done so far in UK. My friends in France always use them when they climb. So I am wondering why. Is it authorized in the UK? Or just not used?

Thanks,
    JC

Culture maybe?
    Or our climbs in general are relatively short (compared to Alpine efforts) so perhaps people don't see the benefit?

I raced in Chamonix this summer and poles were banned in the shorter events (I did the 23k - no poles allowed).
    Fell, road, track, XC... it's all good running.

there used to be a statement somewhere (it may not have been FRA, but I seem to think it was....) about use of poles being "contrary to the spirit of the sport" or somesuch.....As others have said, I can't rally see the benefit on most shorter fell races. And they can be a pain in the a$$ for people behind too!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

I bought a pair of lightweight ones, used them in one event and put them away for good. Better without them.

Normally I lose places on technical descents. In the last race I did, I carried some extra long poles on a narrow descent and used them as you would a balance pole on the tightrope. Surprisingly I managed to keep my place, despite being a lot slower than previous years.

The poles were also useful for fending off competitors who wanted to discuss their validity after the race. I'll be using them more often now.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Poles are necessary if wearing Hokas so you dont fall off them

to be honest poles should go the same way as dogs in fell races and folded numbers

I've used them on the GL3D and found they really saved my legs over the course of 3days. I think in a packed and crowded climb they would be dangerous, it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...

Al Powell used them at Ennerdale a few years ago whilst training for one of the UTMB races, to general derision I recall.

I have used them on the Continent regularly except when forbidden by race rules. In more recent times, I have gone without. To be honest it depends on the state of my lumbar spine....

And I'm sure someone has suggested that there is a UKA/BA rule that one might interpret to suggest that the use of poles is forbidden by the rules.

I forget the number.

Witton Park will know. :-)
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Appendix F of the UKA Rules for Competition states that "Runners are not allowed to use
    supplementary aids such as poles" in Mountain Running only. It may not have occurred to anyone that they might be used in any other discipline. Of course if poles count as a "technical device", then they fall foul of Rule 21 Assistance.

Tim B
    Last edited by wolley tha; 12-10-2015 at 09:05 PM.

One thing to consider that many alpine races are on well groomed, well maintained trails. On the kind of terrain that fell races cover erosion would be much more of a concern.

I've only ever used mine in winter and now wouldn't want to be without them. Propulsion through deeper soft stuff, support from getting blown over when it's windy and utterly indispensable when the snow is covering uneven ground and you'd otherwise be staggering around like a severely lost drunk.