Thread: PBR dinorwig

PBR dinorwig

I ran some PBR legs at the weekend for the first time, following the Harveys map. The line through the Dinorwig quarries seems to go directly through one of the big pits, the crag called Australia by climbers (with slabs and a big rusty pipe on the left). I assumed it meant you drop down into the pit and up the other side, but couldn't see any way of doing this. I ended up scrambling up the right hand side of the pit but it was pretty sketchy and there must be better ways. The obvious answer is to skirt well to the right of Australia, but this takes you off the line shown on the map. Any advice?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rsk View Post
    I ran some PBR legs at the weekend for the first time, following the Harveys map. The line through the Dinorwig quarries seems to go directly through one of the big pits, the crag called Australia by climbers (with slabs and a big rusty pipe on the left). I assumed it meant you drop down into the pit and up the other side, but couldn't see any way of doing this. I ended up scrambling up the right hand side of the pit but it was pretty sketchy and there must be better ways. The obvious answer is to skirt well to the right of Australia, but this takes you off the line shown on the map. Any advice?
    rsk.
    You go left of Australia up the obvious concrete ramp. So basically from the bottom of the quarries, follow the path between the zig sagging wall. leave the path at the first little bridge which crosses the path you now need to take. Access this path and follow past derelict buildings. follow and go up winding incline until kissing gate at the tourist view point. Through gate and head for gate (locked near Dali's Hole which will be to your right.). Cross fence (be very discreet and access huge concrete incline. Follow to top (Australia is to your right)until you pick up slate road which leads eventually onto a trod accessing Elidir.

Corniceman has it right. If you don't know the quarries then it's worth spending some time figuring out which path or incline leads you where.

There's an incline that starts in the museum car park and heads eastwards to a point where it levels out. This is where the path that comes up the zig-zags meets it indicated here - http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=259...0540&A=Y&Z=115 . The track that came up the incline then continues and bends to the left where it goes up another incline to bring you out just above Dali's Hole (the water feature on the map) at the foot of the upper incline http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=259...0540&A=Y&Z=115 you go up this to meet the service road http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=259...1352&A=Y&Z=115

Note that Australia is called "Garret" on the OS maps
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Thanks fellas. I'll go back and have another look, in daylight this time. Your route makes more sense and is much more direct than the Harveys map. I wonder why it shows the line it does?

Quote Originally Posted by rsk View Post
    Thanks fellas. I'll go back and have another look, in daylight this time. Your route makes more sense and is much more direct than the Harveys map. I wonder why it shows the line it does?
    Probably access rights, I doubt anyone would be that ignorant of the correct line. In the book chapter on the round they also describe the wrong route.

As Bob says go in and work it out, it's a pretty logical line through the quarries but also find a way at the top. I used a series of trods from the top gate past winding sheds that always landed me 50 yards to the right on EF's summit.

There's a few bits the inclines have collapsed at the start but the path up old steps is pretty easy to find in OK weather but hard at night unless you know they are there.

The incline that starts at the museum car park is out of use. Go up the zig-zag, join the inclines at the foot bridge, follow a couple of small diversions to reach kissing gate by old buildings. At this point most people do a bit of trespassind by going right,up the long and steep conduits, which is the quickest way. The way marked track used in races is longer.