Thread: Over the toe gaiters

Over the toe gaiters

I've had a search around and read a fair bit about socks and gaiters, but I've not seen any gaiters that go over the toes. Is this because they ruck up in no time? I'm happy with my sock choice but want to keep my feet warm in ice/snow on long days out. Again happy with my shoe choice which is not Goretex. Does anyone posses a pair of gaiters that keep the whole foot warm? My long toes can suffer in the cold. Thanks!

I doubt whether having something over the top of the front of fell shoes would make a blind bit of difference to the warmth of your toes. For severe wet and cold I wear my trusty seal skin socks but, even then, in wet snow, bogs, mud and (obviously) wading through becks they don't keep my feet dry. Having done some pretty long and hairy runs in bad winter conditions (the High Peak Marathon for instance) all I can say is that if you keep moving (and preferably running) even the most frozen and wet toes can get warm again. Just suck it up and jog on

As Stolly said...I think it's just a case of keeping moving/running and your feet will warm up again. I've done a few runs in ice and snow when both of my feet where numb but I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and eventually they got their feeling back
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Sound advice thanks gents, I will keep the cobwebs on the wallet intact

Super Moderator
    Sealskins or simply mtfu
    Poacher turned game-keeper

There's some advice about winter footwear/care on here
    http://www.ultrunr.com/coldfeet.html

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    There's some advice about winter footwear/care on here
    http://www.ultrunr.com/coldfeet.html
    Chilli! Maybe once the gashes on my heel recover from the flag stones near Kinder I'll give it a go. Thanks for the link will have a read through

Hi in old days I had full gaiters over my climbing boot that were glued to the sole of the shoes;I suppose the same principle is used for cycling shoes; the question is whether this can be used on running shoes, cycling gaiter glued to running shoes, however you would need to sacrifice a pair of shoes Thanks Sebastian