Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter 2015 Headtorch

Face West has a really good comparison table of lots of head torches, not all of them obviously, that would be madness. I'm waiting for my new Silva Trail Runner 2 to be delivered (non USB version): I went for this as I have an event in Feb which requires 2 head torches and the Trail Runner gives 140 lumens over a stupendous battery life apparently. The brightness of others is all well and good but 140 lumens is plenty and I don't want to faff with battery changes if possible if they give out

i've got a silva trail runner 2 (non usb) - it feels really well designed ie; just what you need and nothing else (well balanced, enough light for rough ground, lightweight, small battery pack, also good value at the moment £40-ish)
    Last edited by alslim; 27-10-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Just ordered a Silva Trail Runner 2 non-usb from Blands. It was quite an exciting moment, i've never been fit enough to be a headtorch midweeker, i'm in an exclusive club here.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Had another look at the alpkit offering, for a price vs output it is incredible value. as to effectiveness depends on the beam shape, is it just long and narrow or is there some width. at less than £40 worth a go .

I think far too much emphasis is put on power and searchlight like beams for night running headtorches. In reality, while running in the woods and hills at night, 99% of the time you are looking to light up the ground 5 to 10 feet in front of you. Having 5 zillion lumens isn't really necessary . Also high beam power in hill fog can be completely useless as all of the beam is just rebounded back at you. And, worst of all, if you're running at night with somebody else following you with that person wearing a super duper search light on their head, your own field of vision, regardless of your own beam, is cast into shadow.

I have had the same headtorch for 3 or so years now, a Fenix HP11 , and run with it on the (one from top) 133 lumen setting which tends to give me roughly two to three weeks worth of mid week headtorch running before I need to replace the batteries. Its relatively light, having a small battery pack positioned at the back of my head, and has thus far proved to be really tough and resilient. I don't think they sell this model nowadays but it only cost me £50 and by the looks of things Fenix offer a whole raft of other headtorches in the same price bracket now
    Last edited by Stolly; 30-10-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I think far too much emphasis is put on power and searchlight like beams for night running headtorches. In reality, while running in the woods and hills at night, 99% of the time you are looking to light up the ground 5 to 10 feet in front of you. Having 5 zillion lumens isn't really necessary . Also high beam power in hill fog can be completely useless as all of the beam is just rebounded back at you. And, worst of all, if you're running at night with somebody else following you with that person wearing a super duper search light on their head, your own field of vision, regardless of your own beam, is cast into shadow.

I have had the same headtorch for 3 or so years now, a Fenix HP11 , and run with it on the (one from top) 133 lumen setting which tends to give me roughly two to three weeks worth of mid week headtorch running before I need to replace the batteries. Its relatively light, having a small battery pack positioned at the back of my head, and has thus far proved to be really tough and resilient. I don't think they sell this model nowadays but it only cost me £50 and by the looks of things Fenix offer a whole raft of other headtorches in the same price bracket now
    Stolly, as so often, you have a point but I was out on my own last night climbing a hill looking for a stile and the Hope I have had for 6 years was very helpful in allowing me to see more than 10 feet in front of me and so ensure I was on the right line.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I can highly recommend this:

http://www.hopetech.com/product/r4-led/

Ran with it on Tuesday evening, first time since end of last winter and forgot how good it is.
    Steve Fish : Clayton Le Moors Harriers

A fair point from Stolly BUt as Breeze suggest depends on what you are trying to. A path run on a familiar route is easily possible with a low power beam but route finding on unfamiliar terrain benefits from more power / longer beam Mind you some of the headline powers on some lights are a bit cheeky as they are not sustainable for long periods due to heat issues , so the actual usable light is less than you think...although useful for a temporary look around.

Master
    In low light we can only see in black and white, better lighting means we can see in colour, which helps to clarify the details of the terrain - is that a small rock, a big leaf, a toad, a pile of dog mess - it makes a big difference to where and how you put your feet, which means you are more likely to stay upright and can go a bit faster. Once you have run at night in colour, you never go back.

Super Moderator
    Where's that post Andy Walmsely (sp) wrote a few years ago about torches being too bright now? Mind I remember him at a proto-Bedlamite do on Ingleborough with a huge conical lamp on his head. It was vast
    Poacher turned game-keeper