Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a CX Bike

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire

Recommend me a CX Bike

Been struggling a lot with injuries this year which has curtailed the running quite a bit. I've still been able to get out on the road bike though and maintained some semblence of fitness by commuting to work. With this in mind, I'm thinking of dropping the amount of fell/trail running I've been doing (yes really!) and spending more time on the bike but taking in more off-road routes. I'd like to get something suitable for commuting (which for me is canal towpath, road and some gravel paths) and also be a bit more adventurous and get out on my local hills and bridalways.
    I'm thinking the best way to go would be a cyclo-cross bike but there's a lot of choice out there. I don't need anything too snazzy but would prefer disk brakes and capable of mounting mud guards.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for entry level bikes preferably less than £1000.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/prod...-sport-disc-15

I got the '13 version of this bike and it's been great (until I rode it into a wall). 33 mile hilly commute a couple of times a week, occasional races. It has fix points for mudguards and racks.

Pete, the afficionados would argue that it's not an out & out 'cross "racer"; but for a capable all rounder that would fit your requirements take a look at the Planet-X "London Road" - http://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/r...es/london-road

Several of the build options are way under your £1000 budget!!

Ian.

PS, one of the Planet-X supported riders has actually raced on one.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-10-2015 at 11:56 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Cheers both - plenty of food for thought. Of the two, I like the look of the London Road - good choice of models at a reasonable price. Will be up in Sheffield in a couple of weeks so may pop in a take a look.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

There's a couple of decent looking Cannondale CX bikes in that price range,

http://www.evanscycles.com/categorie...clocross-bikes

For the "Steel is Real", Genesis Croix de Fer looks to be a decent buy, mudguard clearance and hydraulic discs.

I have a 2014 Genesis Vapour which I think they might have discontinued/replaced with a 'Croix de Aluminium'. Whatever, it's a great bike and was as happy commuting pre-farming days as it was thrashing down a hillside or on singletrack in the woods. Plenty of bottle, mudguard an pannier bosses and I bet you could pick one up on the cheap if you can find one in your size then spend the extra on upgrades. I love mine.

I got this Cannondale earlier in the year ..love it.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec071034

I've had a Forme Calver CX for a little over a year & am pleased with it. I got the canti brake model (home maintenance seemed simpler, having played around with v-brakes but never discs) on a good deal from a local bike shop (£670 I think) but I'm fairly sure the disc version comes in at under £1000. I see that your based in Worcestershire - worth a look into Echelon in Pershore (if it's not too far), who I think do there own model of CX bike as well as stocking a few brands.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I got this Cannondale earlier in the year ..love it.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec071034
    Yes - its on the list of maybes. My only concerns are that it's at the racey end of the spectrum and I'm possibly going to need more of a work horse for commuting (bosses for racks/mudguards etc). It is rather lovely though!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post

For the "Steel is Real", Genesis Croix de Fer looks to be a decent buy, mudguard clearance and hydraulic discs.
    Liking the look of that - another one on the shortlist (which is becoming quite a long list!)
    Last edited by PeteS; 19-10-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast