Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me a CX Bike

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam W View Post
    I see that your based in Worcestershire - worth a look into Echelon in Pershore (if it's not too far), who I think do there own model of CX bike as well as stocking a few brands.
    Not come across Echelon before but Pershore is not too far from me. They don't list CX bike on their web site but I'll pop in next time I'm down that way.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Not come across Echelon before but Pershore is not too far from me. They don't list CX bike on their web site but I'll pop in next time I'm down that way.
    It's a good while since I went in (my folks live close by & I went to school in the town but not back often) but they had own brand CX bikes in there last I was in. They are stockists for Boardman (amongst others) who have CX bikes in the range.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I got this Cannondale earlier in the year ..love it.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec071034
    Just had a look at one in the flesh. Very impressed but think i may splash out the extra £100 for the Tiagra. One odd thing though - I've always had a 54 frame but was advised to drop down to a 52 due to the geometry of the frame. A bit confusing as at 5ft 9 I should be on a 54 according to the cannondale sizing charts? How have you found yours for size?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post

For the "Steel is Real", Genesis Croix de Fer looks to be a decent buy, mudguard clearance and hydraulic discs.
    The Croix de fer is looking the most likely contender at the moment. However, I like the look of the 2015 model but unfortunately not the 2016! Hopefully will still be available when I get the finance sorted. There is one thing that slightly puts me off it - the weight. At 11.4kg its 1.4kg heavier than the Cannondale CAADX Tiagra which is second on my shortlist at the moment.
    The other option I'm considering is the Trek Crossrip Elite - nice looking in matt black with internal cable routing.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Last year I picked myself up a Norco Threshold A2 (2014 model). I got the previous years model from Evans Cycles with a warranty fork on it so the price was really reduced. I can't remember the list price as I got it on the CTW scheme but i think it was approx £550. Great for commuting and I've had it up and down the likes of Moel Famau no bother. There's and irritating rattle from the internal cableing but that's easily sorted with a cable tie or similar and it's a little heavy for what it is but it can definately handle more than 10 laps of a muddy field.

Probably no harm in a slightly smaller frame than normal Pete; bit more clearance for the old chap if you come a cropper and a longer stem will help steady the steering if you're thrashing around off road. I wish I'd gone for a 58 instead of a 60 on my Genesis. It's a good job bike shorts are padded where they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    Probably no harm in a slightly smaller frame than normal Pete; bit more clearance for the old chap if you come a cropper and a longer stem will help steady the steering if you're thrashing around off road. I wish I'd gone for a 58 instead of a 60 on my Genesis. It's a good job bike shorts are padded where they are!
    Ha! Good point which I hadn't considered. Having had that kind of accident before its not something I want to repeat in a hurry and no amount of padding ever seems to compensate enough!
    However, I think I'm definitely going for the Genesis CdF 20 in a 54 as there are some bargains to be had at the moment with new models on the horizon. I'm not going to be racing it and so have decided that the reservations I had over weight are compensated by build quality, it will be good commuter capable of touring as well as some off-road abuse. It also looks pretty darn sexy IMHO!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I took delivery of the Genesis Croix De Fer 20 on Saturday and tried a bit of trail yesterday (curtailed by a downpour of biblical proportions) and also my daily commute this morning. Well I have to admit I am more than a little impressed - it has so far lived up to every expectation. It handles like a dream both on and off road and is an absolute joy to ride and managed to pick one up for £780 so well under budget.
    Thanks eveyone for your suggestions!

GenCdf20.jpg
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

She's a beauty Pete! [I]Chapeau[I]as they say in cycling circles. You just need to get the sissy guards off and some proper tyres on it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed D View Post
    She's a beauty Pete! Chapeau as they say in cycling circles. You just need to get the sissy guards off and some proper tyres on it now!
    Ha ha! Got the full guards on at the moment as I got sick of arriving at work looking like I'd just done Paris-Roubaix in a wet year! They'll come off as soon as the weather improves.
    The tyres are a bit of a trial at the moment - I'm sticking with the ones that came with it for now (Continental Cyclocross Speed, 700x35c) which have been pretty good on hard pack trail and tarmac. Low resistance for quite a wide tyre and the nobbly sides give good grip when cornering. Rubbish in mud though....

The only other thing that's likely to change is the saddle but that's always a personal thing.
    Last edited by PeteS; 11-11-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast