Thread: 15 mph windspeed

15 mph windspeed

I'm playing out in Snowdonia this weekend and the windspeed is forecast to be 15 mph - can anyone tell me what this will actually feel like - as in 'gentle breeze' or near-hurricane conditions as per Kinder Downfall 2013?!

I did PYG fell race this year and the wind was 50mph (!!) and that felt like near-hurricane so based on that, I'd say a bit stronger than a gentle breeze I think but not too bad...although on Snowdon it might feel a bit more depending how open it is in the specific area etc.
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

According to http://www.rmets.org/weather-and-cli...beaufort-scale
    15mph is a "moderate breeze, Raises dust and loose paper; small branches moved."

Enjoy your trip, we just had a couple of days there, pretty dry underfoot last weekend.
    John McIntosh
    Rossendale Harriers

Imagine running at 4 minute mile pace on a perfectly still day and that's what it'll feel like

15mph in reality isn't too bad so long as you're not going a long way all in the same direction, but it does get very wearing if it's a constant headwind. As Calvin has alluded to though, it may well feel worse depending on altitude / temperature!

the thing to keep in mind is that general weather forecast is alway for 'at sea level'. Wind speed on high ground can be considerably higher, as well having different direction. The MeteoGroup weather forecasting company makes an app called MeteoEarth that animates different aspects of weather over a couple of days forward, and in the case of the wind animation you can adjust the altitude -- I have found this very useful. (I also use their WeatherPro app, I find theirs to be by far the most accurate forecast.)

Banned
    You beat me to it.
    I use mwis for the hills.
    Snowden is a beast with the elements.
    Last edited by Stagger; 21-10-2015 at 07:00 PM.

Breezy.

Quote Originally Posted by alfa_scud View Post
    Imagine running at 4 minute mile pace on a perfectly still day and that's what it'll feel like

15mph in reality isn't too bad so long as you're not going a long way all in the same direction, but it does get very wearing if it's a constant headwind. As Calvin has alluded to though, it may well feel worse depending on altitude / temperature!
    Might be easier to replicate on a bike than trying to run at that pace . Basically, it feels like the wind in your face going at a briskish pace on your bike!! Mind you, where the wind gets funnelled by cols etc, or in eddies it might fell like heading downhill much faster on the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Might be easier to replicate on a bike than trying to run at that pace . Basically, it feels like the wind in your face going at a briskish pace on your bike!! Mind you, where the wind gets funnelled by cols etc, or in eddies it might fell like heading downhill much faster on the bike!
    I always wondered why ridges and tops seam windier. The tops are exposed to all the wind, but both have air forced into a smaller space from bellow, a bit like an aircrafts wing. This (in the right direction) increases the wind speed. Well that's the conclusion I came to anyway. But 15 mph shouldn't cause this effect to be too problematic.