Thread: Sports podiatrist or phys

Sports podiatrist or phys

Does anyone know of a very good sports podiatrist or Physio in north west or West Midlands (I'm in Cheshire). I keep getting peroneal problems

Hi Spen,
    We're based in Glossop and many of our clients travel to see us from far and wide. Take a look at our website, Tim is our physio and he's Glossopdale Harriers captain so knows a bit about fell running!
    www.globaltherapies.com

cheers
    Lynne

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spen View Post
    Does anyone know of a very good sports podiatrist or Physio in north west or West Midlands (I'm in Cheshire). I keep getting peroneal problems
    Spen

I have peroneal problems too. What is yours. For me I suddenly felt a pop behind the ankle protrusion whilst racing (Bingley show) in July. Initial pain was immense but after a few weeks it calmed. It seems the peroneal was pulled out of the groove in the ankle. Subfuxation I think. 3 months on and I am running again but if my foot tilts I get a small popping sensation, (I guess as the tendon moves across its groove again). It is bearable but frustrating. When reading the internet it seems that mechanical problems such as this require surgical intervention. However my trust worthy physio doesn't recommend surgery on the basis that recovery has been god thus far. Simon

Mrs Noel swears by this guy: http://www.sub-4.co.uk/

She wears orthotics and they have completely sorted her out over the last 5 years.

Thanks but I think glossop is a bit too far from sandbach.

This is not that painful. Just there if you know what I mean.

Soreness around the ankle bone

Yes, the peroneal tendons run beneath the retinaculum that extends over the lateral side of the calcaneous (sp), very painful. I've suffered from this myself. My missus is a sports massage therapist and is brilliant at loosening these off, she fixed me no problem. Not much use to you sadly, we're up in North Yorkshire.

Good luck getting it fixed. I'm not sure that orthotics are the key to getting it sorted, particularly not in fell shoes.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Adding to the recommendations, I've heard only good things about Brian Coles based in Stoke from fellow runners, and from personal experience sorted out a dropped metatorsal in a single visit. Not local, but time wise not to far from Sandbach.

I currently have some similar peroneal problems - I find that a firm foam roller on the calf above helps. Peroneal tendons are connected to the peroneal muscles in the calf and it might be that these are the problem being too tight? Has helped me to loosen them off a bit and do also long calf stretches standing on a kerb/ledge. I had similar problems years ago and this sorted them out. I also ran on flatter ground (without the calf being too stressed by doing big hills) while it was getting better.
    Will Meredith - Pennine