Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into it

Will, just get back to running for the love of it. Maybe don't put yourself under pressure by thinking about races just yet. On the days I don't feel motivated I go off & do my favourite runs. Beamsley Beacon, Simons Seat, High Plantation etc. Also, forget about distances, just go & enjoy yourself. I was talking to Ben about this yesterday when we went off & got a bit lost on the moors. It was brilliant. You did a scorchingly fast 3 P's a couple of years back. That runner is still inside you. You just need to bring it back out, slowly but surely. Good luck mate & don't give up.

Will, I didn't give up smoking until 28 and I only took up running seriously in my late 30s, so there is still time!

I would say similar to Rob, the routine may need a little encouragement at first, but if you want to be good you need to make it a habit. It's a better habit than smoking!
    Dan Wilkinson - Ilkley Harriers

Cheers Dan

Didn't know you were a former smoker. I really miss when we used to race together! Hopefully I can be fit for your new race next year.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It might be that you're focusing on how far you are away from your previous glories. This could be putting too much pressure on you.
    Absolutely this!

I've done something similar. Went from running reasonably regularly a few years ago, to pretty much zero. And put on 15kg in the process. At first it's disheartening when you look back on how fast or far you used to run compared to now. But if you make the switch to 'look where I was last week/ last month' it all begins to look rosy again. It's all the fun and excitement of starting out as a runner, with the added benefit of knowing you can do it (because you've done it before)!

Get the miles in. Check you're not trying to run too fast (i.e., go for miles/ time on your feet as opposed to speed). The kg will be dropping off and the pace increasing before you know it.

I've also found that looking back through old running diaries, photos, even race results has been quite inspirational.

Thanks whichwaytothepub it's good to know there are others out there! I've just done 5 days of running in a row for the first time in over a year. Hoping to keep it going through December and lose a bit of weight. I'm feeling inspired at the moment and will be doing Mytholmroyd and Stoop all being well. Would be good to meet some other people off the forums at these races so anyone can feel free to let me know if they are going.

Getting back into it now. Running 20-30 miles a week mostly on the fells. Done a few races this year and it is interesting racing against different people at the back of the field! Weight is not really coming down but I feel I am getting stronger.

Hi Will, Glad to hear you are back in the saddle (or Mudclaws) I miss seeing you at races and bumping into you on the fell. Best wishes for your return.
    Matt

Hi Will, Glad to hear you are back in the saddle (or Mudclaws) I miss seeing you at races and bumping into you on the fell. Best wishes for your return.
    Matt

Thanks Matt are you doing the Three Peaks this year?

No, Time to experience The Fellsman. Do you want to go large on that!