Thread: Shoe advice - Achilles

Shoe advice - Achilles

I'm looking for peoples advice / experiences on shoes to protect an achilles that has had tendonitis - if such types of shoes exist! I know shoe choice is very much personal preference but I can't help thinking especially with road / trail shoes that there is such a choice of types / styles that some must be better than others for achilles tendons? Or am I wrong?

I'm over the tendonitis now but on road and trail I now need new shoes and can't decide whether to go for more cushioned or more minimal? I use x-talon 212s on the fell and love them.

Any opinions / experiences welcome!
    Ta

When I had tendonitis for recovery sorbothane insoles with extra heel support

I'd go for more cushioned*, personally. I had achilles issues last year, that I suspect was actually caused by a new pair of trail shoes with minimal heel cup padding. My fault really as I probably laced them over-tight as they were a bit of a loose fit on the ankle - but the lack of heel padding/stiff heel edge wrecked my left achilles for a looonng three months.

Edit:

*more cushioned heel cup, not sole. I still favour low or zero drop shoes.
    Last edited by dodgy; 06-11-2015 at 11:19 PM.

I had Achilles issues in 2009. Since then the biggest drop shoe I run in is Asics DS Trainers. My go-to trail shoe is the Brooks PureGrit and the X-Talons for the more serious stuff.

For me, more important is the ongoing maintenance work of regular sports massage, heel raises and single leg squats.

I'm with you EwenM on the ongoing maintenance work. Heel raises/drops with both bent and straight leg really help me when dealing with pain in achilles and calf muscle.

Have tried many different shoes - the key, for me, being that the heel tab doesn't touch the achilles. Even the lightest touch with a padded heel tab causes problems. If I feel the heel tab is coming into contact then I make a small slit with a sharp knife into the heel tab... which seems to help. Try to avoid this however in my best racing shoes!